Free SSL certificates through Let's Encrypt

• by the way I am "just" a "user" of i-mscp (we just use i-mscp privately to manage the server stuff better, we are no business or whatever) and by the way the server admin already bought PHPSwitcher, maybe even more, I dunno.

also instead of saying "I donate 1€ so make it free" he asked what amount would be needed to make it free, a completely different approach to this.

I have nothing against it being a paid plugin but I just wanted to ask what happens with his idea of a sponsorship so it becomes free, which is VERY generous in my opinion.

by the way I DO pay for good software/service when I need it and I like it, I had spotify premium long enough, and I also have a WBB forum which we have on said server and most of the games I have are paid ones (no matter whether steam, console or Humble bundle)

asperger inside(tm)

• @My1

he asked what amount would be needed to make it free, a completely different approach to this.

And our discussion with @MichaelSchinzel was done privately and at the end, no agreement was found for making the plugin free. ;) @MichaelSchinzel company is one of our bigger sponsor (Let's Encrypt, Mailman and so on ...) but the amount required to make that plugin free was too large for its compagny and we can understand that ;)

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• And our discussion with @MichaelSchinzel was done privately

I know that much, but wanted to know whether there was any result that's why I asked.

and at the end, no agreement was found for making the plugin free.

I obviously didnt know that until now and it is at least nice to know.

as I said: I dont question your right to gain money, just asking about potential opportunities.

asperger inside(tm)

• Thanks for your response. This plugin is mostly not thought for private usage. For that a simple command line is already doing the job for you. This plugin is more thought for commercial usage of imscp, to provide letsencrypt support for all customers which have no command-line access (+ autoregeneration).

I already talked with @MichaelSchinzel in private about that.

So I'm happy that you respect good software and I hope that you have a good feeling with our code :)

• I untervalued the time to develop this plugin, so yes, we spend something but this is not enough to refound all the development time at all which is needed to build this plugin. I think, this month, i have also a bit dev budget free to spend some more money for the Plugins which are interessted for our company and also for our customers but we can not pay such money like for own stuff members because we actually also develop own vServer Panel, Financing Software, ... and have actually high investments for our own software projects.

• well that the primary target for that are businesses is something that I already thought.
    the problem especially when creating a SAN cert with multiple different webroots gets REALLY annoying over the commandline (I have tried on my PC and I am getting problems all over the place) and 90 day cert lifetime doesnt make it better.

if their verification could at least propagate down to subdomains it would be a LOT more painless, but no it isnt.

for now I use startssl because it's in many ways different and possibly better than LE, even though they are probably not automatable.

1. easier validation
    2. Validation propagates to subdomains
    3. longer Lifetimes
    4. you dont need any obnoxious (and right now beta software) that potentially has access to your keys to create a cert.
    5. easier workflow in general
    -> verify wanted domains via email, upload blank CSR (almost everything is ignored), enter domains, get cert.

I dont say that LE is actually bad but in non-automated environments they are just a major pain in the back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit to add:

an intresting Idea would be a "pot" for each addon which is defined by the time/money you need/want to create that addon.
    and when that pot is full make it free.
    I dont know whether or not it's a good Idea but I think it's intresting

asperger inside(tm)

• @MichaelSchinzel

Don't worry ;) Your company is already very generous with us and we can only thank you for that. That really motivate us. Without company like yours, we could not invest as much time in this project.

Personally, I have no other work besides i-MSCP. The sale of my plugins allows me to live. Without this income, I could not continue. ;)

• this is pretty, well I dont know how to say it, not dure whether it's amazing or plain risky that the only thing that sustains your life is hoping that your imscp addons sell...

edit: before anyone assumes stuff and tries to put words in my mouth i didnt even say: I DO NOT MEAN THIS IN A BAD WAY!

honestly phpswitcher is the most useful one of the paid addons in my opinion, not speaking from a hoster perpective, but as a PHP dev. you dont see a server with quickly-switchable PHP everyday. This allows you to quickly debug your PHP software among multiple versions which is REALLY intresting.

asperger inside(tm)

• an intresting Idea would be a "pot" for each addon which is defined by the time/money you need/want to create that addon.
    and when that pot is full make it free.
    I dont know whether or not it's a good Idea but I think it's intresting

I already talked with nuxwin about some similiar idea and his opinion was that there aren't enough people are willing to back plugins.

Back to topic: There's also a little script that can help you renewing letsencrypt certificates with i-MSCP: Letsencrypt, Zertifikat für eine Domain

• plain risky

That is the word but you cannot imagine the time needed to develop i-MSCP and maintain it (and here, I don't talk about forum management and so on...)
    Fortunatelly, I've a wife which supports me in my crusade ;)