How safe is to upgrade from 1.3.16 to latest current stable?

• Hi,

I am running a server with version 1.3.16 and I never upgraded since this version. Although I have snapshots of the server and both local and remote daily backups of the hosted websites, I was wondering if it would be considered safe to directly upgrade to the latest stable version (currently 1.5.1)?

My server is on a Debian 8 distro.

I also have installed the Let's encrypt plugin on this server and I already use it for the admin panel and the hosted websites.

Can someone briefly provide some info on how to safely upgrade my server with the minimum service interruption?

Thanks.

• You can upgrade it based on documentation, without any problems. (I have upgrade two of my servers last months (from 1.3.16 to 1.5.x), without problems)
    After that I recommend to upgrade all plugins too.

i-MSCP 1.5.3
    Plugins (latest version): ClamAV, CronJobs, DomainAutoApproval, LetsEncrypt, OpenDKIM, PanelRedirect, PhpSwitcher, PolicydSPF, Postgrey, RecaptchaPMA, RoundcubePlugins, SpamAssasin, WHMCS

• Thanks for the reply. So basically I can go straight from 1.3.16 to 1.5.1 or should I upgrade every single version in between (I guess 1.5.1 includes the code/features/fixes from the previous versions)?

Regarding plugins, I guess I should disable them first, then do core upgrade and then plugin update?

• You can upgrade in one step from 1.3.16 to 1.5.1.
    If you use any listeners, you should update them too.

Plugins: I think, that better if you disable before upgrade, and upgrade i-mscp, after that update all plugins too.

i-MSCP 1.5.3
    Plugins (latest version): ClamAV, CronJobs, DomainAutoApproval, LetsEncrypt, OpenDKIM, PanelRedirect, PhpSwitcher, PolicydSPF, Postgrey, RecaptchaPMA, RoundcubePlugins, SpamAssasin, WHMCS

• Thank you all for your replies.

@Dylan What are the listeners? How would I know if I use any?

@FloRet88 Errata files are very useful.

So, I will backup and snapshot everything, disable plugins, direct upgrade from 1.3.16 to 1.5.1, update plugins, cleanup... At least, thats the plan... I will get back to you to let you know, just in case someone finds this info useful.

• That’s the way you should go!

If you set-up the Server or administrate it from the beginning, you should know about this - pleas search the forum / Wiki for more informations about listener!

I also recommend to update to the konzeptplus version (latest bugfix release)! >> see following info from Nuxwin: i-MSCP 1.5.x Serie -- bugfixes

Best regards

Support Infos: I-MSCP Version: 1.5.x / Distro: Debian Stretch / PHP: 7.1.27 - FPM / I-MSCP Plugins: Let´s Encrypt + PHPSwitcher (latest Versions)

• Fellow travelers: I successfully upgraded from 1.3.16 to 1.5.x on my production server (Ubuntu Trusty Tahr) this morning. Per the errata and best practices, I made sure I had good backups of “all the things,” disabled all plugins and ran the applicable shell commands to prepare for the upgrade, specifically:

Code
    1. # pkill -KILL -f vlogger
    2. (per errata for 1.4.1)
    3. # service cron stop
    4. # service imscp_daemon stop
    5. # pkill -TERM -f imscp
    6. (per errata for 1.4.6)

Initially, I had planned to upgrade to 1.5.3 (the current stable release at this time), however this upgrade was stymied by a recently discovered issue with Composer. Thankfully, the current development release (1.5.x) addresses this issue, resulting in a trouble-free direct upgrade.

My advice: Follow best practices (make your backups), read the errata, and should you hit a hitch—DON’T PANIC! This forum is your friend.

Regards,

/\/\___

“There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand base-2 and those who do not.”

• Initially, I had planned to upgrade to 1.5.3 (the current stable release at this time), however this upgrade was stymied by a recently discovered issue with Composer. Thankfully, the current development release (1.5.x) addresses this issue, resulting in a trouble-free direct upgrade.

The fix is also in latest released version ;) You should avoid using git version and update to i-MSCP 1.5.3 (build 2018120800) RELEASED ;)

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• The fix is also in latest released version ;) You should avoid using git version and update to i-MSCP 1.5.3 (build 2018120800) RELEASED ;)

Hmmm… My initial install attempt was based on the “Latest Stable Version” link at the top of this page, but that tgz (which seems to be 1.5.3) exhibited the “SHA384 is not supported…” Composer error. Is the link incorrect, perhaps?

Regards,

/\/\___

“There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand base-2 and those who do not.”