Multi E-Mail Addresses

• Ok I tried what you said:

- Changed my mail account from mail to mail+forward

- Added onw forward address to the list called "[email protected]"

- Send a mail to "[email protected]"

- Got error (User unknown in virtual mailbox table)

Basically, what you want is ability to send mails to aliases in which case, the mails should be delivered into the mailbox of the mail account for which you have defined them. Problem is that aliases don't always belong to locally hosted domains.. You can have an alias address such as [email protected] ... But I'll check the behavior and see if we can add specific "rules" for aliases that belong to local domains. By local, I mean those for which domains are hosted locally. In reality, those are virtual domains...

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Nuxwin

Added the Label to be implemented
  • UncleSam

Right now, when creating a normal + forward account, we end with something as follow (alias map):

Code
    1. # Postfix aliases map - auto-generated by i-MSCP
    2. # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    3. [email protected] [email protected],[email protected]

Here, any mail sent to the [email protected] mail account would be:

1. Delivered to the [email protected] mailbox
    2. Forwarded to the [email protected] alias

This is the current behavior but you, you want also be able to send mail to aliases:

Code
    3. [email protected] [email protected],[email protected]
    4. [email protected] [email protected]

This is the same as above but with another alias entry. Mail sent to the [email protected] would be:

1. Forwarded to the [email protected]

You see the problem here? This create a loop and you would end with a "loopback to myself" error:

Mail sent to alias => forwarded to whatever => forwarded to alias => forwarded to whatever... (LOOP)

• Yes that is what I want, but I was not aware that someone could configure something like a loop like that... This is a nice to have feature which would be great if you need to add a lot of aliases. But please do not spend too much time on it. I thought it is something you could do in 10 minutes or something like that.

• UncleSam

I've just made a test with the following entries:

Code
    1. root@bionic:/etc/postfix/imscp# cat domains
    2. # Postfix domains map - auto-generated by i-MSCP
    3. # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    4. bbox.nuxwin.com OK

Code
    3. [email protected] [email protected]
    4. [email protected] [email protected],[email protected]

This seem to work as expected (no loop).

Below the SMTP session (sending mail to [email protected] which is an alias of [email protected] :

Note: Don't pay attention to the warning regarding TLS... (self-signed cert)...

As you can see, the mail sent to [email protected] (alias address) has been delivered into the [email protected] mailbox. This is what you expect. My thinking is that this would cause a loop but it seem that not the case... I need to do more tests to be sure but if that still OK, I'll improve the feature, automatically adding required entries for aliases (when those belong to a domain that is hosted locally).

The received mail (source)