OwnDDNS

• That plugin is only needed for clients with dynamic IP. i-MSCP is not really meant to be used at home normally, nor meant to provide a DynDNS service for clients with dynamic IP.

That plugin must be rewritten from scratch. We will do it when we will find time.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• @Nuxwin, no, this plugin is a DynDNS service. So any customer on an i-MSCP server can have dynamic hosts as subdomain on his own domain.
    Since services like dyndns.org and noip.com limited their free accounts, this plugin got very interesting.

• @Nuxwin, no, this plugin is a DynDNS service. So any customer on an i-MSCP server can have dynamic hosts as subdomain on his own domain.
    Since services like dyndns.org and noip.com limited their free accounts, this plugin got very interesting.

yes yes yes

my System :

- Distribution: Debian | Release: 9.13 | Codename: wheezy
    - i-MSCP Version: i-MSCP 1.5.3| Build: 20181208 | Codename: Ennio Morricone
    - Plugins installed: ClamAV (v. 1.3.0), Mailgraph (v 1.1.1), OpenDKIM (v 2.0.0), SpamAssassin (v 2.0.1)
    - LetsEncrypt (v3.3.0), PhpSwitcher (v 5.0.5), RoundcubePlugins (v 2.0.2)YubiKeyAuth 1.1.0

• @Nuxwin, no, this plugin is a DynDNS service.

Sure but if you have a static IP, you don't need such plugin... DynDNS is only need for home servers with a dynamic IP.

• Sure but if you have a static IP, you don't need such plugin... DynDNS is only need for home servers with a dynamic IP.

Mh, I think you might watch from a different angle. ^^

As far as I remember, this plugin acts as de facto DynDNS-Service - not to use i-MSCP behind dynamic IPs but to assign dynamic hosts to clients via i-MSCP.
    Your services with dynamic IPs connect via an API key to the i-MSCP-Plugin (which of course should have a static IP) which then updates its DNS entries for the clients with any new assigned IP.

TL;DR:
    Afaik, OwnDDNS acts as privately hosted dynamic DNS service inside your i-MSCP instance for third party clients with dynamic IPs.

• @medienlampe

I know but the client is generally a home server with a dynamic IP. The client (generally an ADSL box) does an API call on the OwnDNS plugin through a specific URL for updating the IP in the DNS zone file (when the dynamic IP has been renewed..).

Well...

It must be noted that usage of this plugin is restricted to few ADSL boxes in which you can set the API endpoint (URL). This feature is available in the FRITZ!Box boxes (which are available in Germany), but for instance, in France, none of the ADSL boxes are providing such option. Most of the ADSL boxes generally provide a few set of preconfigured DynDNS services for which you can enter the domain name, an username and a password only.

The main problem with that plugin

• It's usage would be reserved to people posseding ADSL boxes allowing to setup an arbitrary URL for the API endpoint
    • I cannot develop such plugin by closing my eyes. I'm located in France and as stated above, our boxes don't allow such setup. Of course, I can mimic the FRITZ!Box behavior by developing my own client but that would take much time.

My personal point of view

i-MSCP has no meant to provide a DynDNS service. i-MSCP is a project meant to ease management of a shared hosting environment.

• If you want a free DynDNS service, then you can use spdyn. The service is provided by the German company Securepoint.
    No login forced after 30 days or something similar like the other free DynDNS service provider are doing.

I'm using it now for more than half a year and it's working great.

• I cannot develop such plugin by closing my eyes. I'm located in France and as stated above, our boxes don't allow such setup. Of course, I can mimic the FRITZ!Box behavior by developing my own client but that would take much time.

yes, agreed. about the special french situation i was not aware.

just for completeness sake, there are a lot of open source and freeware clients, that allow custom dyndns update urls and variables, for every operating systems. so there is no need for your own one.
    in point of view of hardware routers, indeed, only few (Fritz!Box, Sophos, Fortigate, and almost all WRT based routers, like ASUS, Linksys, Netgear) support custom settings.

@mrpink, yea, this one looks good. thanks for the info! but when do they start to limit their service also? i guess, as soon, as it gains popularity and the cost of the freebies service exceeds the budget. like happened to dyn.ee, eisfair.org dyndns service, dyndns.org, noip.com (former noip.hopto.org)

thread can be closed?

• @flames

just for completeness sake, there are a lot of open source and freeware clients,

Give me one for debian (test it first) ;) Then, I can code that plugin.

in point of view of hardware routers, indeed, only few (Fritz!Box, Sophos, Fortigate, and almost all WRT based routers, like ASUS, Linksys, Netgear) support custom settings.

I've one netgrear and one Linksys routers and both don't provide such option ;)