Some noob questions

• I have seen on this forum and also in the forgot password email a reference to a url that takes this layout: admin.hostname.domainname.com
    My system rejects it as unknown.
    In this forum I have seen reference to admin.hostname.domainname.com/ftp. To get to the ftp page I have to put
    www.domainname.com/ftp or domainname.com/ftp. So the question is why does my system not work as advertised?
    This also seems to be involved in the bug I reported (IP-1304) where the lost password is not sent
    Is there some setting that I should be doing?

Debian7
    Php 5.4.3
    Apache2
    i-mscp 1.2.2

• Okay I installed that plugin and it made no difference. I changed the php file from proxy to redirect then updated the plugins. I then tried admin.hostname.domain.com:8080/ftp and got exactly the same result. ?

• Hello ;

The problem here has nothing to do with the PanelRedirect plugin. The problem here is due to the fact that the A DNS record for the admin.hostname.domain.com domain is missing and thus, cannot be resolved. I presume that you're using external DNS server from your provider so you must add that DNS record. The problem described by IP-1304 is due to the same thing ;)

If you 're not happy with the admin.hostname.domain.com domain, you can always change it by reconfiguring the related part as follow:

Shell-Script
    1. # perl imscp-autoinstall -dasr panel_hostname

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Ah thanks for that reply - it makes sense but as always there is a problem ;(
    I get an error at the end because apache cannot restart if I change the name. I decided to remove the host name and just have admin.domain.com and this is what log shows:

[Sat Mar 14 20:13:45 2015] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
    [Sat Mar 14 20:13:45 2015] [notice] vlogger: caught TERM, shutting down
    (2)No such file or directory: apache2: could not open error log file /var/log/apache2/admin.mydomain.com/error.log.
    Unable to open logs
    (2)No such file or directory: apache2: could not open error log file /var/log/apache2/admin.mydomain.com/error.log.
    Unable to open logs

should I manualy create these?

• @SouthT

• If you're running i-MSCP 1.2.2 as stated in your profile info, the panel is not run through Apache2. I'm wondering what you have done exactly.
    • I've just tested to change the panel domain by running the perl imscp-autoinstall -dasr panel_hostname and this worked perfectly.

You should really consider to learn before posting here because we'll not continue to answer all your questions ;)

@gOOvER

I don't really understand what you mean there. I've looked at the urban dictionary for IMBA but I still don't understand.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Hi
    Yes I am running i-MSCP 1.2.2. I have manged to get it all working now. Thanks for your assistance guys.
    @Nuxwin
    You were correct about the DNS record as mentioned in your first post.
    I found that after disabling the PanelRedirect plugin that was first suggested, I was able to change the panel domain with perl imscp-autoinstall -dasr panel_hostname :D
    As a developer myself I appreciate the amount of work that you and others have put into this program. But please dont assume that
    because people ask what appears to be stupid questions they are not willing to learn. When you have worked with something for months or years it is easy to
    forget that when you started things were not always as obvious as they appear to you now. As I said above I am a noob when it comes to some of this. I am more
    than prepaired to learn and even perhaps help where I can. Is there any other documentation apart from this wiki?
    thanks again.