What is the recommended way for (sub)domains with special apache configuration?

• Hi,

what is the preferred / recommended way, to use web apps on some domains, that require special apache configurations like reverse proxy settings, perl scripts, etc.? e.g. gitlab, otrs, etc. - How do you solve these situations?

Currently I created an additional .conf file in sites-available / sites-enabled under an additional subdomain (like service-internal.host) and then create a proper domain / subdomain (like service.host) via imscp with the proxy setting - forwarding to the additional subdomain.

This way the customer sees the proper service.host domain and I can administrate stuff like letsencrypt, mails etc. for this domain via imscp.

But this approach has two problems

a) I always need an additional subdomain for every of these cases

b) I'm not too sure if the autoinstaller would remove the additional .conf file when doing an update etc. Could you say something about that?

Thanks

Edited 4 times, last by Catscrash ().

• what is the preferred / recommended way, to use web apps on some domains, that require special apache configurations like reverse proxy settings, perl scripts, etc.? e.g. gitlab, otrs, etc. - How do you solve these situations?

For the reverse proxy, you cans setup it through the control panel for any domain.

Basically, for gitllab, you need install it manually (it is run through NGINX) and make it listening on loopback interface on specific port such as 8080, then once done, you must setup the proxy through the control panel by editing the domain as customer. To resume:

1. Install gitlab as usually, make it listening on loopback interface 127.0.0.1 and on specific port 8080
    2. Add the domain or subdomain you want use to access it from outside world through the control panel and setup the proxy (http://127.0.0.1:8080). See The PanelRedirect plugin will be soon abandoned and therefore, no longer maintained. for the procedure.
    3. Through the control panel, enable SSL for the domain. So, you should end with something like:

WAN ( Client browser - https://domain.tld - SSL) <--> Apache2 Proxy (domain.tld - SSL) <--> GitLab Nginx (127.0.0.1:80 - No SSL)

Regarding the Perl script, they are supported as CGI scripts. Basically, you need put your Perl script in the cgi-bin directory. Those script must be executable onwed by your vuxxx Web user but not been world-executable (basically, permissions for those script should be 0750). Mod perl is not supported out of box.

But this approach has two problems

a) I always need an additional subdomain for every of these cases

b) I'm not too sure if the autoinstaller would remove the additional .conf file when doing an update etc. Could you say something about that?

a) This step is not needed if you make Gitlab listening on loopback interface on specific port through Nginx. By Default, gitlab is run through Nginx.

b) i-MSCP only remove vhost files that belong to managed domains. All is about naming convention here.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Hello Nuxwin,

I'm sorry to bring the thread back up.

Is the same picture with OTRS?

I would like to test the ticket system and not build my own server for it.

Regards

Michael