Different NS for single domain (normally NS1.<domain>.<ext>

• Hi,
    I need to change nameserver for some domains only. For the rest of the domains I want to continue to use the local bind managed by imscp.

I see that, at the creation of domain, /var/cache/bind/<domain>.<ext>.db contain the record

ns1.<domain>.<ext>. is automatically created.

I want to change the NS to include 4 external NS and to not include imscp bind.

I found some tutorial how to disable at all internal bind for all domains, but is not what I need.

I tried to add some record A with ns1.<domain>.<ext> but it still have the imscp ip also, so 1 call on 5 go to internal bind.

The best would be if I can use external dns name record and not IP, because the external NS can also change ip (it is not common but I can know isp idea and they have all right to do this).

I use the lat version of imscp, enabled external mx and custom dns records.

Thank you

Edited 3 times, last by m4rv1n00 ().

• I need to change nameserver for some domains only. For the rest of the domains I want to continue to use the local bind managed by imscp.

What you mean by "some domains only"? Subdomains from a specific domain or many customer domains (separated domains) ? Try to clarify a bit. Also please, learn a bit about DNS. You're confusing too many thing there ;)

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• What you mean by "some domains only"? Subdomains from a specific domain or many customer domains (separated domains) ? Try to clarify a bit. Also please, learn a bit about DNS. You're confusing too many thing there ;)

For example, I have domain domain1.tld , domain2.tld , domain3.tld , domain4.tld .
    I want domain1.tld and domain2.tld to refer to external NS that provider offer, domain3.tld and domain4.tld instead have to still use my imscp as NS.
    So "some domains" in normal language is "different customer domains" in imscp language :)

If ther'is something other not clear please let me know and I try to help us to understand each other ;)

• @m4rv1n00

To resume, you want use the registrar DNS server for some domains while still using the i-MSCP DNS server for other domains.

Well, that not really possible with current version. i-MSCP DNS module is either enabled globally (for all customers) or not at all.

If you want, I can add a switch in the interface, allowing customer to fully disable DNS feature for specific domains. That would be the best thing for your use case.

• Yes, the resume is correct.
    If you have to lose time only for me, don't worry, but if you think it can be a good feature for all imscp user I can offer me as tester.

From what I have seen, correct me if I'm wrong, you can disable the creation of the zone in the imscp server, so it can search on root DNS server.

• From what I have seen, correct me if I'm wrong, you can disable the creation of the zone in the imscp server, so it can search on root DNS server.

With current i-MSCP version, you cannot disable generation of DNS zone for specific customer domain. I'll add a switch for that in later version.

• With current i-MSCP version, you cannot disable generation of DNS zone for specific customer domain. I'll add a switch for that in later version.

Yes, I was meaning from next version :)
    Let me know if I can help you in some way

• I solved this with a listener. Problem is, that I have multple resellers on my system and everyone comes with different NS. That's why I defined NS as per reseller in the named-listener. Additionaly, as some resellers only use NS provided by their registrars, generated zonefiles for those domains will be deleted immediately after generation (as far as I know I cannot bypass their generation, so I solved it sorta dirty this way).

However, it would be fine to be able to define NS as per domain or (sufficient for my purposes) as per reseller. Already mentioned it here: IMSCP-Auth-Mail / NS per reseller