Help installing and understanding postgrey

• Hi so i am in the process of re-installing my server because i messed up a lot of things trying to get the mail working in i-mscp.

I would appreciate a hand in getting i-mscp installed correctly and if possibly without postgrey!!

what steps shuld i take to do this?
    or am i just stupid and there is a simple fix/patch i missed?
    to my understanding it is postgrey that mess up my mail or delays it somehow. am i right about that and how to disable or fix it?

what would be the perfect setup for ubuntu 12.04 whit i-mscp 1.1.14 ?

my test setup is as follows and if i get i-mscp working to my satisfaction it will go live as first server.
    Cpu: Xeon dualcore 2.1 Ghz
    Ram:8 gb
    150 gb ssd

I hop i am getting my wishes true. :idea:
    recap.
    i-mscp running with no postgrey or fixed so mail can flow as it should do. :exclamation:
    witch php version should i use fpm or :?:

Thanks
    BaDTaG

• You can simply disable postgrey. Just restart the installer with the parameter r. Somewhere at the end you can disable it. But it's not recommend, because postgrey blocks most of the spam mails. The delay is just for new unknown mail adresses. The other ones will be "whitelisted".
    I would use fpm.

PS: if you're using Ubuntu, I would use the newest one (14.04).

• Hi Ninos thanks for your reply.

Ubuntu 14.04 com's with a php version I can't use. And downgrading gave to many problems.

I was thinking maybe it is my domain setup that gave me problems.

Is this setup okay?
    Hostname: my-domain.com
    I-mscp domain: cp.my-domain.com
    Then for main site I added it tru a client account
    Client domain: my-domain.com
    Is this going to work?

• @BaDTaG

Wait a second... The thread is talking about postgrey or about PHP? Please consider to create a new thread per problem ;) This is better for our understanding and it's also better for our community which can refer to your thread only by reading the title ;)

About your PHP problem, you can always use the PhpSwitcher plugin which will allow you to run the needed PHP version for your site. If you need further assistance for setup your system, give me your teamviewer IDS (install it if needed) and I'll check your i-MSCP system.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• If you need further assistance for setup your system, give me your teamviewer IDS (install it if needed) and I'll check your i-MSCP system.

Thank you @Nuxwin i will take you up on that. i can send mail but not receive. on fresh install

• So after getting postgrey started i saw it was blocking all my test mails. so i "fixed" it by turning it off :-P now i-mscp is working perfectly as i hoped it would. (apart from potential spam problem)

this is waht i dit to /etc/postfix/main.cf

Code
    1. smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
    2. reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
    3. permit_mynetworks,
    4. permit_sasl_authenticated,
    5. reject_unauth_destination,
    6. reject_unlisted_recipient,
    7. check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:12525,
    8. # check_policy_service inet:::1:10023,
    9. permit
    10. inet_protocols=all
  • So i decided to test postgrey again and got it running to my satisfaction.
    I lowered the hold time to 60 sec. this should still keep most spammers away.

and as i failed to mention above i fixed postgrey not starting at all after install. don't know if this is a problem or just in my case.

the fix is to switch to ipv6 localhost and add the last line like this!

Code
    1. check_policy_service inet:::1:10023,

and out side the smtpd_recipient_restrictions section add this!

Code
    1. inet_protocols=all

then in I-mscp go to settings/service-ports and find POSTGREY and change 127.0.0.1 to ::1

this should give you a green light in General/service status :-)

• Just a side note:
    if your customers complain about the greylisting delay, configure policyd-weight for conditional greylisting. That would turn on greylist only for unknown clients based on weight'ing.

I found this blog entry to be very useful: http://blog.waja.info/2007/08/03/conditional-greylisting/. (I'm not related to the author in any ways! It was just very useful for me :)) )

I'm using this setup for 2 years now, no delay still no spam. Layers are: policyd (configured for DNSBLs), amavis/spamassassin with several updated spamlists subscribed, greylisting only for very rare cases. Online shopping and forum setup are beautiful as all these new user approval mails show up instantly.

regards,
    bytesplit