slow ftp connect

• I hadn't time until now to view this problem, but it's not a new problem.

When i try to login than the server wait about 17-20sec before i see the filelist. This is a little slow server (Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2160 @ 1.80GHz, 4GB RAM), but this time is very long.

I disabled the DelayEngine, but the connection time seems too high too (12-15sec)

I disabled the processing the imscp domain confs, and the connection time was only 1sec. I found 63 file in this directory, this is not too much, this is my smallest server.

I created a new directory with only one domains.conf and after include that the connection time was 1-1,5sec.

The solution step by step

Code
    1. open /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf

In my conf this was the default settings but maybe you have other, so check this values:

Code
    1. UseReverseDNS offIdentLookups off

The default value of "DelayEngine" parameter is "on" because security reason! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_attack . I disabled this because i think that my real users doesn't want to attack my server, and the fail2ban will ban IP addresses with too many wrong logins (http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/ProFTPd)

In the last line of the proftpd.conf i edited the include path:

Code
    1. Include /etc/proftpd/imscp2

After this save and close the proftpd.conf.

Create the new config directory /etc/proftpd/imscp2

Save the next block into that directory as domain.conf.

I found the "disabled" directory didn't exist in the default imscp conf, i inserted that into this conf without grant any permission for users.

Restart the proftpd.

i-MSCP: GIT 1.5.3-maintenance branch

Edited once, last by Kika ().

• Which Distribution are you using for your Server? Wanna try to rebuild this Problem ;)

• Using paths as */htdocs will prevent users to delete/rename/move ... any folder named htdocs in any part of user directory tree even if is not related to a mount point. Imagine scenario:
    User do not know what to do with default folders but he do not want to remove then so he copy all folder in a folder named save. After he realize mistake, he want move folders back. He can not do that. He copy them back and the want to remove those folders. He can not.
    I think we can safe remove this protection, will not affect servers (just some warnings on apache restart). What you think about?

UseReverseDNS, IdentLookups are default off.

Turning off DelayEngine and use fail2ban is a solution but I remember that for etch (or sarge?) regexp for proftpd was broken. Can / should we count on fail2ban for this?
    If yes should we provide own regexp for proftpd or use default?

Edited once, last by oldev01 ().

• Using paths as */htdocs will prevent users to delete/rename/move ... any folder named htdocs in any part of user directory tree even if is not related to a mount point. Imagine scenario:
    User do not know what to do with default folders but he do not want to remove then so he copy all folder in a folder named save. After he realize mistake, he want move folders back. He can not do that. He copy them back and the want to remove those folders. He can not.
    I think we can safe remove this protection, will not affect servers (just some warnings on apache restart). What you think about?

I think that we need this protection. I tried what you wrote:

1, i created a folder named htdocs within domain.tld/htdocs
    I can delete this because the rule for ~/htdocs/* give me right for this

2, i created a folder named htdocs within domain.tld/subdomain/htdocs
    I could delete this too, but something wrong, because i could delete domain.tld/subdomain/htdocs too. I found the error. See this new conf please:

So i revoke all access from users and now they can delete from error, htdocs, cgi-bin and from subdomains htdocs and cgi-bin. If they create folder named htdocs than they could delete that.

Turning off DelayEngine and use fail2ban is a solution but I remember that for etch (or sarge?) regexp for proftpd was broken. Can / should we count on fail2ban for this?
    If yes should we provide own regexp for proftpd or use default?

The regexp was incorrect in the old fail2ban 0.8.1, but the new is correct. The problem was only one character, the ":" was replaced by "-" in the log, but the new default regexp contains ":" and "-" too (my proftpd filter revision: 677).

Edited once, last by Kika ().

• Code
    1. <Directory ~/*>
    2. <Limit RMD RNTO DELE XRMD>
    3. DenyAll
    4. </Limit>
    5. </Directory>

Deny deletion of all files / folders in root directory. So if i upload a file like readme, I can no longer delete it. If I create a folder in root directory, none of folders/files from this directory can be deleted.
    If arbitrary folders htdocs can be deleted, then mount points for aliasses, subdomain, alias subdomains can also be deleted.
    Is not easy task :)

• hmm, you have right, i didn't think that the user want to upload files to other directories. I will try to create a new working version today which based on this things.

• As long as we accept arbitrary mount points, the only way we can protect default subfolders is to use full path. We I implemented that i did studied this problem long enough, but I did not find other solution. So we have 2 options: either keep existing way, either drop it.
    But if you find another way, would be great.

• For me we must not longer continue to allow arbitrary mount points for subdomains/aliasses. It's pain in ass to maintain. It's better to provide fixed tree, and if an user want redirect a subdomain to a specific directory, we can provide redirection.

We can also provide specific subdomain directory redirection to another subdomain directory. Same for aliasses.

For the last, I'll add same if we continue to allow arbitrary mount points.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• If we keep arbitrary mount points then the current proftpd conf is the good solution.

I use always the default mount point, because the other folder names will cause chaos on the server.