Installing a SSL certificate on a domain and using Wordpress

• I have tried the following to install an SSL certificate on one of my domains. I have copied the default-ssl file from /etc/apache2/sites-available to /etc/apache2/sites-available/vettathu.com.conf, and made the following changes so ultimately it reads as:

Code
    1. <IfModule mod_ssl.c><VirtualHost 50.7.228.37:443> ServerAdmin [email protected] ServerName www.vettathu.com ServerAlias www.vettathu.com vettathu.com vu2003als3.r2d2.joel.co.in DocumentRoot /var/www/virtual/joel.co.in/vettathu.com/htdocs <Directory /var/www/virtual/joel.co.in/vettathu.com/htdocs/> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews AllowOverride None Order allow,deny allow from all </Directory> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/virtual/joel.co.in/vettathu.com/cgi-bin/ <Directory "/var/www/virtual/joel.co.in/vettathu.com/cgi-bin"> AllowOverride None Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch Order allow,deny Allow from all </Directory> ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit, # alert, emerg. LogLevel info CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/ssl_access.log combined # SSL Engine Switch: # Enable/Disable SSL for this virtual host. SSLEngine on SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT:!SSLv2:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/certificates/ssl.crt SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/certificates/ssl.key SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/apache2/certificates/sub.class1.server.ca.pem CustomLog /var/log/apache2/ssl_request_log \ "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b" # A self-signed (snakeoil) certificate can be created by installing # the ssl-cert package. See # /usr/share/doc/apache2.2-common/README.Debian.gz for more info. # If both key and certificate are stored in the same file, only the # SSLCertificateFile directive is needed. #SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem #SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key # Server Certificate Chain: # Point SSLCertificateChainFile at a file containing the # concatenation of PEM encoded CA certificates which form the # certificate chain for the server certificate. Alternatively # the referenced file can be the same as SSLCertificateFile # when the CA certificates are directly appended to the server # certificate for convinience. #SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/server-ca.crt # Certificate Authority (CA): # Set the CA certificate verification path where to find CA # certificates for client authentication or alternatively one # huge file containing all of them (file must be PEM encoded) # Note: Inside SSLCACertificatePath you need hash symlinks # to point to the certificate files. Use the provided # Makefile to update the hash symlinks after changes. #SSLCACertificatePath /etc/ssl/certs/ #SSLCACertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/ca-bundle.crt # Certificate Revocation Lists (CRL): # Set the CA revocation path where to find CA CRLs for client # authentication or alternatively one huge file containing all # of them (file must be PEM encoded) # Note: Inside SSLCARevocationPath you need hash symlinks # to point to the certificate files. Use the provided # Makefile to update the hash symlinks after changes. #SSLCARevocationPath /etc/apache2/ssl.crl/ #SSLCARevocationFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crl/ca-bundle.crl # Client Authentication (Type): # Client certificate verification type and depth. Types are # none, optional, require and optional_no_ca. Depth is a # number which specifies how deeply to verify the certificate # issuer chain before deciding the certificate is not valid. #SSLVerifyClient require #SSLVerifyDepth 10 # Access Control: # With SSLRequire you can do per-directory access control based # on arbitrary complex boolean expressions containing server # variable checks and other lookup directives. The syntax is a # mixture between C and Perl. See the mod_ssl documentation # for more details. #<Location /> #SSLRequire ( %{SSL_CIPHER} !~ m/^(EXP|NULL)/ \ # and %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_O} eq "Snake Oil, Ltd." \ # and %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_OU} in {"Staff", "CA", "Dev"} \ # and %{TIME_WDAY} >= 1 and %{TIME_WDAY} <= 5 \ # and %{TIME_HOUR} >= 8 and %{TIME_HOUR} <= 20 ) \ # or %{REMOTE_ADDR} =~ m/^192\.76\.162\.[0-9]+$/ #</Location> # SSL Engine Options: # Set various options for the SSL engine. # o FakeBasicAuth: # Translate the client X.509 into a Basic Authorisation. This means that # the standard Auth/DBMAuth methods can be used for access control. The # user name is the `one line' version of the client's X.509 certificate. # Note that no password is obtained from the user. Every entry in the user # file needs this password: `xxj31ZMTZzkVA'. # o ExportCertData: # This exports two additional environment variables: SSL_CLIENT_CERT and # SSL_SERVER_CERT. These contain the PEM-encoded certificates of the # server (always existing) and the client (only existing when client # authentication is used). This can be used to import the certificates # into CGI scripts. # o StdEnvVars: # This exports the standard SSL/TLS related `SSL_*' environment variables. # Per default this exportation is switched off for performance reasons, # because the extraction step is an expensive operation and is usually # useless for serving static content. So one usually enables the # exportation for CGI and SSI requests only. # o StrictRequire: # This denies access when "SSLRequireSSL" or "SSLRequire" applied even # under a "Satisfy any" situation, i.e. when it applies access is denied # and no other module can change it. # o OptRenegotiate: # This enables optimized SSL connection renegotiation handling when SSL # directives are used in per-directory context. SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth +ExportCertData +StrictRequire <FilesMatch "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php)$"> SSLOptions +StdEnvVars </FilesMatch> <Directory /var/www/virtual/joel.co.in/vettathu.com/cgi-bin> SSLOptions +StdEnvVars </Directory> # SSL Protocol Adjustments: # The safe and default but still SSL/TLS standard compliant shutdown # approach is that mod_ssl sends the close notify alert but doesn't wait for # the close notify alert from client. When you need a different shutdown # approach you can use one of the following variables: # o ssl-unclean-shutdown: # This forces an unclean shutdown when the connection is closed, i.e. no # SSL close notify alert is send or allowed to received. This violates # the SSL/TLS standard but is needed for some brain-dead browsers. Use # this when you receive I/O errors because of the standard approach where # mod_ssl sends the close notify alert. # o ssl-accurate-shutdown: # This forces an accurate shutdown when the connection is closed, i.e. a # SSL close notify alert is send and mod_ssl waits for the close notify # alert of the client. This is 100% SSL/TLS standard compliant, but in # practice often causes hanging connections with brain-dead browsers. Use # this only for browsers where you know that their SSL implementation # works correctly. # Notice: Most problems of broken clients are also related to the HTTP # keep-alive facility, so you usually additionally want to disable # keep-alive for those clients, too. Use variable "nokeepalive" for this. # Similarly, one has to force some clients to use HTTP/1.0 to workaround # their broken HTTP/1.1 implementation. Use variables "downgrade-1.0" and # "force-response-1.0" for this. BrowserMatch "MSIE [2-6]" \ nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \ downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0 # MSIE 7 and newer should be able to use keepalive BrowserMatch "MSIE [17-9]" ssl-unclean-shutdown</VirtualHost></IfModule>

The certificates from StartSSL have been copied to the locations corresponding to the following directives:
    SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/certificates/ssl.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/certificates/ssl.key
    SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/apache2/certificates/sub.class1.server.ca.pem

Now, on restarting the server and accessing https://vettathu.com, I get the following error:

Code
    1. You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

The site is a wordpress multisite install, and .htaccess is as follows:

Code
    1. RewriteEngine OnRewriteBase /RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]# uploaded filesRewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -dRewriteRule ^ - [L]RewriteRule . index.php [L]

If instead of the wordpress index.php, I create a index.html, https://vettathu.com/index.html loads correctly with SSL. Could someone guide me on how to fix the Wordpress site with SSL?

Error logs:

Edited once, last by dzchimp ().

• Why don't you use the panel for it?

The Apache config for the domain should look like this:

Screen of where to add it:

• In order to add ssl cert manually it is enough to add these lines to {domain}_ssl.conf file (obviously providing the .pme files)?

Code
    1. SSLEngine On
    2. SSLCertificateFile /var/www/imscp/gui/data/certs/{domain}.pem
    3. SSLCertificateChainFile /var/www/imscp/gui/data/certs/{domain}.pem

• In order to add ssl cert manually it is enough to add these lines to {domain}_ssl.conf file (obviously providing the .pme files)?

Code
    1. SSLEngine On
    2. SSLCertificateFile /var/www/imscp/gui/data/certs/{domain}.pem
    3. SSLCertificateChainFile /var/www/imscp/gui/data/certs/{domain}.pem

Hello ;

Why do you want add the certificate manually??? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

Edited once, last by Nuxwin ().

• Re;

You hate the automation but you want create a script to automate... I 'm still searching for the error here. :P

Well, here, we provide a support for i-MSCP usage and we cannot explain how all the thing is working. Anyway, if you are able to create your own script, I think you should be able to read i-MSCP code. ;)

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

Edited once, last by Nuxwin ().

• Re;

You hate the automation but you want create a script to automate... I 'm still searching for the error here. :P

Well, here, we provide a support for i-MSCP usage and we cannot explain how all the thing is working. Anyway, if you are able to create your own script, I think you should be able to read i-MSCP code. ;)

Just kidding dude!
    Can you give me a hint on where to look? I suppose that everything begins after the Save button into "View certificates" page is clicked :p But where's the code entry point?