Feature request - Make it possible to tell i-MSCP to not manage DNS RR for a specific domain

1. Come back to control panel and choose "No" on "Custom DNS records" at this moment I supposed that resolver search remotly but dig give to us same result

So now, you agree now that the custom DNS resource record feature has nothing to do with your request for enhancement ;) That's a good starting point. As I said in my previous answer, assumptions are just unhelpful. This just make us losing time ;)

What you want (Enhancement request), is the ability to deactivate i-MSCP DNS management for specific domains, even when Bind9 is installed and set as local DNS resolver. Of course, this is possible. A simple switch ON/OFF for the DNS feature (on a per customer basis or per domain basis) should do the trick.

Does we agreed each other?

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• I've repeated already three times that the feature for custom DNS resource records has nothing to do with your problem. The button for the custom DNS record (reseller side) only enable or disable the custom DNS resource record feature for the client.

Yes that is right, so when is enabled "Custom DNS records" customers can or not make modifications about zones.

Sorry my explaination not very precise, the feature is to add a new button similar "Custom DNS records" for example "Resolve with local DNS" that switch from local or remote DNS the resolution of customer zones.

And if I remove evolvia.websites lines in bind9 at file named.conf.local this domain come back to remote resolver:

• evolvia

Please, make use of bbocde tags when you copy/past something, e.g: [code] bla bla bla [/code]. I'm a bit tired to edit your posts ;)

Quote from evolvia

Yes that is right, so when is enabled "Custom DNS records" customers can or not make modifications about zones.

Sorry my explaination not very precise, the feature is to add a new button similar "Custom DNS records" for example "Resolve with local DNS" that switch from local or remote DNS the resolution of customer zones.

And if I remove evolvia.websites lines in bind9 at file named.conf.local this domain come back to remote resolver:

That's exactly what I propose ;) The entry in the named.conf.local bind9 local configuration file is added by the i-MSCP bind9 server implementation (zone entry). If we add a switch ON/OFF for the DNS management and if you say "OFF", of course, that entry will not be added and no zone file will be generated.

• So now, you agree now that the custom DNS resource record feature has nothing to do with your request for enhancement ;) That's a good starting point. As I said in my previous answer, assumptions are just unhelpful ;)

I agree :thumbsup:

Speaking of this it also occurred to me that with this feature it would be possible to simplify the installation procedure because we could always have a remote DNS installation and switch to the local domains you need. What do you think about this?:angel:

• I agree :thumbsup:

Speaking of this it also occurred to me that with this feature it would be possible to simplify the installation procedure because we could always have a remote DNS installation and switch to the local domains you need. What do you think about this?:angel:

No. Some users don't want install Bind9. They make use of external DNS servers only. Regarding the resolver, you have plenty of solutions such as systemd-resolved and so on... ;) Installing a software such as Bind9 when you do not want use it as authoritative DNS server for some of your domain is totally useless. Bind9 is not free of resource consumption ;)

• If I understand this correctly, it will be a switch if the domain shall use local bind9 or a external DNS server?

That would be great, because I have customers that are using external DNS servers and I only host Webb pages for them. Therefore I don't want to have them in my DNS servers, only the apache2 part shall be working (or MX also if that is redirected to my servers).