Update order (i-MSCP, debian stretch)

• Hello Nuxwin,

I have the plan to update debian to stretch next week and also i-MSCP to 1.4.5.
    What would be the correct order?
    First a full dist-upgrade of debian, or first an update to i-MSCP?
    What happens to mysql_5.5 since strech will use MariaDB? Is an update with no problems possible?
    Will i-MSCP do the DB migration automagically or is it debian (or stays it at mysql)? For this part I am really confused and are in doubt!
    Of course a do a backup before :-)
    but who knows what happens... ?(

## i-MSCP version info
    BuildDate = 20170107
    Version = 1.3.16
    CodeName = Horner
    # Distro info
    DISTRO_ID = debian
    DISTRO_CODENAME = jessie
    DISTRO_RELEASE = 8.7 (really is 8.8 latest)
    # Plugins
    DebugBar Version 1.1.2
    LetsEncrypt Version 3.1.0 (Build 2017041700)
    Mailman Version 1.0.3 (Build 2017021601)
    PanelRedirect Version 1.1.5
    RoundcubePlugins Version 1.2.6
    # Servers
    FRONTEND_SERVER = nginx
    SQL_SERVER = mysql_5.5
    PO_SERVER = dovecot
    NAMED_SERVER = bind
    HTTPD_SERVER = apache_php_fpm
    FTPD_SERVER = proftpd
    MTA_SERVER = postfix
    PHP_SERVER = php5

i-MSCP 1.5.1 + patches - debian stretch (latest) - DebugBar 1.1.2 - LetsEncrypt 3.5.0 - Mailman 2.0.4 - RoundcubePlugins 2.0.1

• I have the plan to update debian to stretch next week and also i-MSCP to 1.4.5.
    What would be the correct order?
    First a full dist-upgrade of debian, or first an update to i-MSCP?

I would update the distribution first:

• Process some cleanup before upgrading: rm -f /etc/apt/preferences.d/imscp /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90imscp /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01norecommend
    • Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and change jessie by stretch. Remove any foreign repository
    • Disable any foreign repository from the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory
    • Update your APT index: apt-get update
    • Update your distribution: apt-get dist-upgrade. Always say yes for installing new maintainer configuration file.
    • Reboot your server (needed due to kernel update)

Once after, I would update i-MSCP to version 1.4.5. In your case, I would disable the plugins first. and update them after i-MSCP update (before reactivating them).

What happens to mysql_5.5 since strech will use MariaDB? Is an update with no problems possible?

During distribution upgrade, I think that your SQL server will be upgraded to MariaDB. I'll perform a test this night to be sure. This should not pose any problem. Upgrade fro MySQL 5.5 to MariaDB should be transparent. Note that I'm talking for an upgrade from MySQL 5.5 to MariaDB only.

From i-MSCP point of view, MariaDB server would be selected automatically. Note that MySQL support for Stretch will be added in version 1.4.6 as MySQL team is now providing packages for Stretch.

BTW: You should wait a bit before upgrading to Stretch.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206