Mail alias and redirect

• Hello,

I tryed to search the forum but haven't found this request - so if it is a duplicate please tell me.

At the moment it is not possible to add mail alias (e.g. to receive more than one mail address in one postbox). So the only possibility to acchieve that is to add a second one which is doing a redirect.
    The redirect itsefl has a lot of problems for me about the spam fight. If it is a redirect address the Spamassassin (and I think Clamav too) plugin is not fired and in that case no spam check is done. As the redirect happens localy the mail is not checked for spam because it is a local address which is whitelisted. So all spam sent to "[email protected]" is never checked for spam. Just the normal server checks like DNSBL or Greylisings are done.

To avoid that the only possibility for me is to create a full mail address and create some sieve rules to redirect the mails. But this is a lot of work and on updating the RoundCube plugins it is going to be deactivated by default, so I have a little downtime from sieve and I have to recheck all the mail addresses. Last but not least I have to learn spam messages by logging into the mail account which receives the mail and redirects them using sieve. Because learning it in the main address would never apply on redirects. (Yes I know there is a domain wide spam blacklist database but I do not want to use it.)

In a perfect world :D :

• The possibility to add alias in the same domain.
    • Link domains to be able to add alias accross domains.
  • At the moment it is not possible to add mail alias (e.g. to receive more than one mail address in one postbox).

Right now, it is possible to create mail aliases (what you're calling redirect)

postfix mailboxes db

Code
    1. [email protected] domain.tld/real_mailbox1

postfix aliases db

Here, [email protected] and [email protected] are mail aliases of the [email protected]. Any mail sent to [email protected] will be forwarded to [email protected] and [email protected] and if case of a normal+forward account, will also end in the [email protected] mailbox.

If I understand you correctly, you want the other way around.

postfix mailboxes db

Code
    1. [email protected] domain.tld/real_mailbox1

postfix aliases db

Here, any mail sent to [email protected] and [email protected] would be delivered in [email protected] mailbox.

It is what you want?

The redirect itsefl has a lot of problems for me about the spam fight. If it is a redirect address the Spamassassin (and I think Clamav too) plugin is not fired and in that case no spam check is done. As the redirect happens localy the mail is not checked for spam because it is a local address which is whitelisted.

Are you sure about that? local recipient or not, you should be able to configure SpamAssassin and/or ClamAV to filter them. I'll check the behavior with our SpamAssassin plugin.

In a perfect world :

The possibility to add alias in the same domain.
    Link domains to be able to add alias accross domains.

In a perfect world, I would have a special decoder for your sentences ;)

• Ok, I think we got the point as stated above
    • ?(

BTW: postbox = mailbox, right? Please try use the common vocabulary ;)

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Ok I am sorry, I found the Spamassassin test string and it seems to work. But something is strange about the redirect and spam because the spam filter seems to be very weak - maybe only running with default settings which not seems to protect against most of spam messages.
    Is there maybe a way to apply the spam settings like the learned spam mails from the destination mailbox?

Sorry about the not common vocabulary ;( but I was a little bit in hurry :D

• @UncleSam

Is there maybe a way to apply the spam settings like the learned spam mails from the destination mailbox?

Normally, yes. See https://spamassassin.apache.or….x/dist/doc/sa-learn.html

Now, I prefer let @mrpink give you a better answer about this subject. He has a better expertise than me regarding SpamAssassin.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206