Multiple backups

• I wrote a patched version of the imscp backup script. I modified the script to keep the backups for seven days.

The original file is located at: /var/www/imscp/engine/backup/imscp-backup-all
    Make a backup of the file, before you patch it.

Hello ;

The problem is that we have some customers with bunch of data. Imagine an user with a total of 5 Go to backup. So 5 * 7 = 35 Go... Now let imagine many users with such amount of data to backup...

The whole script must be rewritten but before, we must take some decisions on how to re-implement backup feature. From my side, I always thought that any backup task should be left to the administrator care. Any solution implemented directly in i-MSCP will never correspond to all administrators needs.

Thank you for using i-MSCP.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Yeah you are right Nuxwin, but if you copy the backups in an external directory outside the domin or www folder the backups not make any trouble.

Example: in admin interface you setup a backup dir path where store all domains backup (only what older then one day) and setup the back dir size quota and setup how many days want to kepp bakups. If you reached the quota the system send a warning massege. First option: increase the backup quota limit Second option delete some files...

ex: /var/www/backups ->
    /var/www/backups/domain.tld1/second_backup
    /var/www/backups/domain.tld1/third_backup
    /var/www/backups/domain.tld1/etc

/var/www/backups/domain.tld2/second_backup
    /var/www/backups/domain.tld2/third_backup
    ETC

Now you can easly manage all domain backups without any size/quota troble for users :P and evry admin can setup how many backups want to store in this folder (size)

• Well, basically the disk space doesn't matter at all. Because you could even exceed the disk space with only one backup per day.

Admins should know their users and just by the way: There is also a quota for the users. Take that quota multiply it with 2 and you have the amount of space you need.

And dear developers, if you don't re-develop the backup engine, one have to to something to take care of urgent problems.

• Not for User's you're right, but i don't know any Server which have unlimited HDD Space ^^ :D

ANd they we are back at this point Nuxwin Explained ;)

Cheapest way buying more hdd than build and host backup server :P And one thing: why you aren't let users choose what would like to build in or ask you/nuxwin build in i-mscp and why you close your mind when user advise something "new". The multiple backup feature make less work for host admins and make more "safe" hosting. Evrey user can make their own decision want to use/not use this function if you/nuxwin build in this program.

I opening a suppor ticket if I see any chance to implement this feature, but I know you don't wan to implemet this....

I'm very sad...

Otherwise, all my respect yours! Amazing what you doing with this cool program. I hope what I wrote did not violate you or nuxwin.

• If we ignore the other problems and the HDD size is the only problem, you can use duply as backup engine. It's an incremental backup tool with backup encryption, so if the user not change the whole content all day, only the first backup's size is 5GB and the rest is a couple of megabytes, because it's same as in the first backup. So you can store the backup for 30 days, and make a full backup every month. I use this method on all of my servers. Only the SQL needs to be saved all time (Because without binlog replication it's not support incremental backups).

• yes, ideally we can work duplicity into being the backup engine, and incorporate archiving, and allow people to restore any day of the backup. duplicity is the best rsync + compression option so far.