My upgrade stuck on a dialog about proftpd password.

• Hi.

My upgrade stuck on a dialog about proftpd password.
    I have provided a correct password (verified from mysql prompt) but still failing on that stage.
    I have downgraded back to 1.3.15 and the procedure finished with success.
    My server OS is Ubuntu 14.04
    Logs:

Thank you

• Hey bobiturboto,

just have a look to the Errata-File at https://github.com/i-MSCP/imsc….3.x/docs/1.3.x_errata.md

With 1.3.16 the setup dialog forces you to set a new password, even on existing installations.

• - Password must be between 6 and 32 characters long.
    • - Only ASCII alphabet and number characters are allowed.

You just have to set a new password for your ProFTPd User and everything should work fine.

Regards,
    mazzo

• Hi, thanks for the update. I just upgraded from 1.3.10 to 1.3.16 and everything went fine so far. However, the prefilled passwords were claimed as "invalid" and I couldn't enter any special characters such as # or /.
    I only could proceed with the upgrade process when entering passwords containing numbers and 'normal' alphabet characters. Is it only me?

i-MSCP 1.5.3 | Ubuntu 18.04

• Hey bluecafe,

the setup dialog of 1.3.16 forces you to set new passwords if the existing ones contain special characters or / and if they are longer than 32 characters.

• - Password must be between 6 and 32 characters long.
    • - Only ASCII alphabet and number characters are allowed.

Have a look at the ASCII Alphabet ( http://www.kerryr.net/pioneers/ascii2.htm ). Only a-z and A-Z are allowed characters. Any kind of special characters are not part of the ASCII Alphabet.

Regards,
    mazzo

• thanks @mazzo for your answer. I just wondered because the errata file says "Setup dialog boxes for passwords are now automatically pre-filled with a password that is autogenerated. You're free touse that password or enter your own." I tried to use the prefilled password. However it contained special characters. Thinking about it these were probably the passwords from the previously upgrade. Hope I won't need the new passwords with the next upgrade because I didn't note them while trying to get a valid password ...

P.S.: The reason why I am wondering is ... isn't it safer to use special characters? Just trying to understand the reason behind ...

i-MSCP 1.5.3 | Ubuntu 18.04

• @bluecafe

Oh, okay. But these autogenerated passwords are only prefilled in new installations. In earlier versions prior 1.3.16 there was an option to press Enter to autogenerate a password. Now these passwords are autogenerated by default. This is, what the errata file means.

In existing installations the displayed passwords are the passwords which you have set during the initial setup of i-MSCP. These are shown in cleartype.

Regards,
    mazzo

Edited once, last by mazzo ().

• The reason why I am wondering is ... isn't it safer to use special characters? Just trying to understand the reason behind ...

Some services don't accept some special characters such as # while some other accept them. In version 1.3.15, a new library for the installer has been introduced. This library aim easing user inputs validation. We will review the policy for accepted characters in later release.

@mazzo

Thank for explaining the changes about the setup dialogs.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206