Backup threads

• Hello there,

I have some troubles with the bacup procedure. Currently it is using all CPU power which it is able to get. I know it is using nice and ionice but this is too much for my small server (server not responding during backups).

So my question is:
    Is there a possibility to limit the threads or switch to single threaded mode (or something like that)?

• I use rsync to save all user files and server configs incl. complete mysql dumps to an external server.
    IMSCP is set to save user databases only, user file or imscp backups are set to disabled ...
    There are many webs hosted on this system which are using more than 15GB space ... works very well w/ rsync without packing archives

• @UncleSam

In latest i-MSCP versions, default value for the BACKUP_COMPRESS_ALGORITHM configuration parameter in the /etc/imscp/imscp.conf file is bzip2, meaning that there is only one CPU core used for backuping data. First please, check the current value of this parameter on your system.

Also, note that the i-MSCP backup script process backup of one client data at time. If your server get crazy with such setup, you should think about an alternative such as an incremental backup solution. This would help you mitigating server load because only new or modified files would be processed.

Once again, the i-MSCP backup solution is not perfect and we will implement a better solution in v2.0.0.

@fulltilt

Data get compressed on remote server or not compressed at all?

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• @Nuxwin
    Thanks for the information. It is currently set to bzip2 so I am going to disable the backup system by letting the cron entry commented.

If you are searching for a good backup solution with full and incremental support you could give duplicity a try:
    Homepage: http://duplicity.nongnu.org/
    Wrapper which I am using at the moment: https://github.com/zertrin/duplicity-backup.sh

• Data get compressed on remote server or not compressed at all?

no not compressed ... the customers have to use FTP for their local file backups and can download daily SQL backups also via FTP ;-)
    I have disabled customer file backups because of high CPU usage ... and removed restore button from client template