Release Management

• Dear @Nuxwin,

the i-MSCP team and especially you are doing a tremendous job to fix and enhance this control panel. Thank you for this.

However, there is one thing, I'd like to discuss is your release management. I do understand, you have a Major, Minor and Bugfix version, displayed by the version number (e. g. 1.3.7). What you do is introducing changes in the Bugfix versions (see Planned changes regarding DNS managements for 1.3.9) that should actually belong to a minor release. I know, that maintaining code for several versions and back porting fixes to older versions can be painful; nevertheless, I would like to see only bug fixes in bug fix releases.

The reason is, that new features need to be tested before rolled out to the customers, but security and bug fixes should be available immediately they are provided.

Would it be possible to maintain at least two to three minor versions with bug fixes and add features in never minor or major versions?

Edited once, last by Starlight: typo ().

• @Starlight

the i-MSCP team and especially you are doing a tremendous job to fix and enhance this control panel. Thank you for this.

Thank you.

What you do is introducing changes in the Bugfix versions (see Planned changes regarding DNS managements for 1.3.9) that should actually belong to a minor release.

Generally, I also prefer avoid introduction of new features in current Serie but there is plenty of customers which do not want have to wait for next Serie. The i-MSCP core is open-source but we are sponsored by big enterprises which ask us for fast improvements. That explain why we introduce new features in current Serie.

We could indeed mitigate side effects by maintaining two Series (stable Serie and testing Serie). Note that it would be more appropriate to use the right terms (major, minor, tiny) but some people are lost with them...

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206