I-MSCP, Plugins und OS-Updates, die Änderungen an Konfigurationsdateien anbieten

• Mit Hilfe von apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade wird ein (Ubuntu-)System umfassend auf den jeweiligen neusten Stand gebracht.

Es wird hierbei immer wieder Änderungen, die vorhandenen Konfigurationsdateien ebenso verändern möchten. Gerade bei aktuellen Distros, wie Ubuntu 16.04 kommt das häufiger vor.

Nun, einerseits ist dies sicherlich sinnvoll, andererseits kann ein Überschreiben einer Konfigurationsdatei ziemliche Probleme mit sich bringen.

Für mich stellt sich hier die Frage nach der richtigen Strategie. Klar ist zunächst, dass sofern derartiges vorgeschlagen wird, man wissen muss, wofür die jeweilige Konfigurationsdatei gut ist. Dann muss man sich eben entsprechend entscheiden.

Nun zurück zum Bezug I-MSCP und die installierten Plugins. Welche Strategie ist hier sinnvoll? Nachfolgend liste ich einmal Vorschläge auf, wie ich das System derzeit verstanden habe. Liege ich richtig oder falsch? Wenn falsch, wie ist der richtige Weg?

Nach einem Update mit automatischen Änderungen an Konfigurationsdateien betreffend den Core von I-MSCP z.B. folgenden Befehl ausführen:

Code
    1. # /var/www/imscp/engine/setup/imscp-reconfigure --reconfigure

Nach einem Update mit automatischen Änderungen an Konfigurationsdateien betreffend die Plugins von I-MSCP wie folgt vorgehen;

Plugin Update durchführen oder Plugin deinstallieren und wieder installieren.

• Hello,

If you want get technical information about i-MSCP, you should talk in English. Nobody excepted me will be able to answer on all aspects.

About the i-MSCP installer and reconfiguration script

The i-MSCP installer, as the i-MSCP reconfiguration script, always regenerate the configuration files from scratch. This is done this way to make sure that the configuration files will have latest fixes applied.

However, if an administrator want make his local changes persistent, he can always use some listener files to hook into the i-MSCP installation/reconfiguration process for re-injecting his changes. It is even possible to fully override a configuration file. i-MSCP triggers many events that allows the administrator to operate at many places.

About the plugins

First of all, it should be noted that it is not mandatory to uninstall and re-install a plugin each time that you update or that you reconfigure i-MSCP. It is even not mandatory to disable the plugin. Disabling a plugin is only needed in some context (API breakage and so on) and in such a case, this is clearly stated in the errata file. Some plugins hook into the installer/reconfiguration process and disabling them is not always a good idea...

About the plugin configuration management

When you update a plugin, your current plugin configuration file is automatically replaced with the new. Again, this is done this way to ensure that the plugin will have latest fixes applied (or new parameters). However, you can always create a local plugin configuration file which will allows you to make your changes persistent.

See https://wiki.i-mscp.net/doku.php?id=plugins:configuration

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• I try to do a short translate...

the question is, how to proceed at apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade, if a new configuration file for a package is available like such dialog:

With i-MSCP I do always choose the new configuration file version, and overwrite the original one.
    With i-MSCP this is safe, because i-MSCP setup will anyway recreate all needed configs.
    Other advantage is, in cases, where a package has indeed big changes in the config file structure/syntax or configuration parameters/values, it might happen, that after installation of this package and leaving the old configuration file, the package might not work or have issues.

In cases with other software (not i-MSCP) You should know or learn how that special software works and proceed the appropriate way. So there is probably no perfect answer except of "create a backup, try, learn"

• @flames

In such a case, I always do as follow:

• I install the package maintainer's version
    • perl /var/www/imscp/engine/setup/imscp-reconfigure -danv

And if there is a change that is not compatible with i-MSCP, I fix i-MSCP

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Ok, thanks for that information.

It is important for me, to maintain a system with last (stable) updates and with apt.get dist-upgrade u will get rid of old pakets not needed anymore and minimize possible security problems.For me its important to know that there is a possibilty to fix overwritten configuration files of packages wich are used by i-mscp.

So, that way described in last post is a part of strategy to keep an installation up to date.