Phpswitcher php 5.6.12 and phpbrew

• Hi there,

I´ve been experimenting for some days now with phpswitcher and quite satisfied. As fas as I know, phpswitcher doesn´t download the latest php sources by itself. But some days ago PHP 5.6.12 was released and for a testserver our devs want to have PHP 5.6.12. So I tried to build it via phpswitcher with:

perl php_compiler.pl php5.6 -i /opt/phpswitcher/php5.6.12 -f

But I get the following error: (last one, rest is console output)

Before doing something stupid I decided to ask here.

Another thing: Has anyone ever tried to load a PHP version via phpswitcher created with phpbrew?

Thanks in advance
    Simon

• Hello ;

First of all, you must know that the PhpSwitcher plugin does not use phpbrew. The PhpSwitcher plugin provides its own PHP compiler.

F the PhpSwitcher plugin documentation:

Code
    1. ...
    2. Supported PHP versions
    3. The versions supported by the PHP compiler are the last which were available when this plugin version has been released.This means that by default, the PHP versions provided by this script can be lower than the last that have been released on the PHP site. In such case, you can use the –force-last command line option which tells the PHP compiler to download the last released versions. However, you must be aware that the PHP compiler could fail to apply the needed patches on these versions. In such a case, you should create a ticket on our bug tracker using the provided output.
    4. ...

Here the problem comes from the fact that many patches are applied on the upstream sources before building them. This is needed to fix several things such as Multiarch support, usage of libtool as provided by Debian and so on... Thus, when a new upstream version is released, you must (not always but most of time) refresh the patches using quilt, as it is is done by the Debian package maintainers when they release a new PHP version.

Refs:

The best to do here is to create a ticket on our bug tracker.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Hi Nuxwin,

First of all, you must know that the PhpSwitcher plugin does not use phpbrew. The PhpSwitcher plugin provides its own PHP compiler.

I know. but I wanted to know, if it is possible to use PHP Versions created with PHPBrew (with fcgi enabled, right?), that would be less work for you I think?

Thus, when a new upstream version is released, you must (not always but most of time) refresh the patches using quilt, as it is is done by the Debian package maintainers when they release a new PHP version.

Aaaaah...never done that before... :/

The best to do here is to create a ticket on our bug tracker.

Done.

Thanks.

• Re;

I've never played with phpbrew, thus, I cannot really answer. I'll give a try with phpbrew soon. This could be an alternative to the self-compiler.

• @Pupp3tm4st3r

Well, the configure command depends on the selecte PHP version. Also, be aware that many patches are appled on the upstream source. Without those patches, some libraries cannot be found. See the PhpSwitcher/PhpCompiler/Makefile for the configuration options used.