Question on new I-MSCP release

• Hi,

on a VM, that I have not yet put into production, I did the upgrade by using the git stable channel

I've seen that i-MSCP now uses a different port for the admin panel and uses ngix as webserver

It 'a great choice to use a separate web server for administration panel and another for the actual hosting sites, however, in my case, involves a problem.

I have configured the I-MSCP using SSL and now after the update works on port 4443, I have created a generic certificate using StartSSL. I have created the redirects for web services such as webmail, ftp, mysql.

Now I think that those who have used the webmail on the VM that I have in production, he saved that address in your browser's favorites and if I did the update on these servers could create problems for users because they can no longer find the address of the webmail

The redirect is set to this simple work

http://webmail.example.com ---> https://my_imscp_url/webmail

In doing so I can use a single certificate for all areas that require secure access

With the new configuration of I-MSCP I can also use a single certificate but all the addresses have changed because they use a different port

The cost of a multi-domain certificate is high but still not solve the problem.

IMHO the solution that may be the best and that does not create too much inconvenience to users, would be to manage I-MSCP using ngix and other services using apache

Example:

I-MSCP Control Panel: https://my_imscp_url:4443 (ngix)

Default site on I-MSCP: http://my_imscp_url (apache)

Webmail: https://my_imscp_url/webmail (apache)

What do you think about?

Thank you very much

Sorry for my bad english

• Hello ;

I don't see any problem for using the old certificate with nginx. For the tools (pma, webmail, filemanager) they are part of i-mscp and thus, they are managed with nginx. We will not change that. It's your responsibility to inform your customers about the new URL for the panel and tools.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Hi,

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your position. First of all, mine was a consideration, and I believe that many other users of imscp can be in the same situation. For a release of maintenance I think it can be too much a change like this. Do you have any idea what it means to tell to a thousand users that completely changes from day to day the access to services because it has been made an update? A MAINTENANCE update??

As I said before, I think this is still a very good choice, but you also have to think that those who decide to use imscp, should not find "surprises" that can then be difficult to manage in a short time and may cause damage or disruption.

I think that the release of maintenance should keep the same characteristics as the previous one and make some bugfix or introduce minor improvements, while in the newer releases (such as 1.2.x), you can introduce new features and other changes, in terms of graphics or core or more.

I was wrong to do a upgrade using the stable channel?

Thank you very much

• Stable Branch is Beta ;) Why you are using it in Production?

Telling your Users to use an other URL is one Newsletter.

My Domain Provider do the same abd i think he have millions.

The change in stable Branch is noticed since one Month in the Anouncement Thread ;)

• @sport80

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your position. First of all, mine was a consideration, and I believe that many other users of imscp can be in the same situation. For a release of maintenance I think it can be too much a change like this. Do you have any idea what it means to tell to a thousand users that completely changes from day to day the access to services because it has been made an update? A MAINTENANCE update??

You're kidding?

It's exactly what we are doing.

The stable branch is our main development branch. Actually it hold the code for the next release series 1.2.x which is open for new features. See the related CHANGELOG

The current release series 1.1.x is still available in the 1.1.x branch . See the related CHANGELOG

To resume, before crying, look at the CHANGELOG before updating to a Git branch by closing your eyes ;) We are not so stupid.

I can understand that the name stable for our development branch can lead to confusion and I'll surely rename it in near future but if I do so, this will not be without drawback for those which cloned the stable branch already.

• Hello,

I do not think that you are stupid and I do not need to cry, I have confidence in the project and the people who work there, otherwise I would have used an ispconfig, plesk or cpanel.

Ok, at this point I can say that I'm wrong I to use the git stable channel, I have not read the information that the channel "stable" was actually "beta"

I have read that the stable channel it's used for the maintenance of the upcoming new stable release, not thinking that it was beta code but stable code with bug fixes for the version currently in use

Git Master user please, consider to no longer use it

And the last time that you helped me, Nuxwin, you have asked me to perform the upgrade by using the git stable channel, it is precisely for this reason that I used the stable channel for new installations and for upgrades

Sorry for the inconvenience

Thank you very much

• Re;

The thread you mention is archived. It's not for nothing. The 1.2.x code has been merged in the stable branch ~11 days ago. You must always read the CHANGELOG before updating.