Anybody interested in sharing backup space on own servers?

• Hi all,

I want to test some ftp or ssh/sftp backup. I host my own server, I have no paying customers, at Hetzner.
    Untill now I backup automatically on my own server, and transfer the backups manually offline via DSL. That is slow, and not very handy.

My idea: I give some space to you on my server, you give the equal amount to me. For now this is just for testing. I can give about 100 GB, I myself only need about 20GB.

If someone wants te participate please let me know.
    I know Hetzner has backup available for about E 5 per month, but I want to test things for a while first.

Smallserver.

• Hi,

i'am interested!

I have a server at Hetzner, too. This is great, because from Hetzner server to Hetzner server we can use the full 1 Gbit/s-Port and the traffic isn't calculated into the inclusive traffic.

I don't need so much space. I need to backup only a few websites & SQL DB's. So 20GB are totally enough for me. For me it would be no problem to give you the 20GB or more when you need it.

Sorry for my bad english, i'm from Germany.

• Ich bin zwar Holländer, spreche aber auch ein wenig Deutsch da ich in NS wohne. Wir können den Rest über pm oder Email.

• I don't need so much space. I need to backup only a few websites & SQL DB's. So 20GB are totally enough for me. For me it would be no problem to give you the 20GB or more when you need it.

Why don't you just use Hetzner's backup-storage? 100GB are included - for free!

• Why don't you just use Hetzner's backup-storage? 100GB are included - for free!

I'm using already the 100GB free backup space. The problem is that I can't access it from outside the Hetzner network. I know, this makes all more secure, but i would need for some special backups backup space which can I access from all over the world.

• Hetzner only has free backup space for root servers at 49 euro per month or more. I only pay 21,- per month.

• I'm using already the 100GB free backup space. The problem is that I can't access it from outside the Hetzner network. I know, this makes all more secure, but i would need for some special backups backup space which can I access from all over the world.

The solution is pretty simple:

a) Set up a section on your webserver, that gets backuped/synced automatically to the space provided by Hetzner. So you don't have to access the backup-space directly.

or

b) Use your server as a proxy to reach the backup-space directly. Iptables is your friend.