CalDAV CardDAV integration for Roundcube webmail

• Sorry to revive this old thread, but my search didn't bring me any other results.

If I understood correctly, CardDAV in Roundcube should be supported by the Plugin. I have installed and activated it, but can't find any support for CardDAV (sync of contacts). Does this have to be activated in the conf, and if so, where and how exactly? CalDAV for the calendars is indeed there.

If this has been explained somewhere before, I would be grateful for a link in this case.

Cheers
    Chris

• In the RoundcubePlugins plugin the contacts plugin is not integrated. If wished, create a ticket in our ticketing system.

PS: I love this sentence, Plugins plugin plugin ticket ticketing

• answering to the thread starting question.

first to clear, do you want a carddav/caldav server embedded in roundcube? or a client?

1. option: server implemetation plugins (plugins are not free), they allow, that roundcube saves the addressbook and calendar info in its database and offers a webdav interface that acts like a server to your mobile devices and desktop clients.

2. option would be a *dav client plugin for roundcube, so you need to install some calendar and adressbook server on your machine (there are multiple good around). in this case your your mobile devices and desctop clients connect to that servers. this is a more reliable way but also much much more complicated to setup. because those *dav servers need to be managed separately and !maybe! find some time the way into imscp. the biggest advantage is, that such servers have also a push implementation to sync your data, while the 1. option is time triggered (you can choose a sync intervall offered by your client, i.e. every 5, 10, 15 minutes or so).

for most situations the first option would be the most suitable.
    so just go and buy those plugins for roundcube (a third party [imscp and roundcube organisations are NOT related to that company to be precise]. iirc the company offers them for about 20-40 euro each), the installation is a peace of cake, upload to roundcube plugin folder, activate in main config of roundcube, enjoy. every user that can access roundcube has also its own caldav/carddav space. there are also options to share with other users.

please don't expect us to reasale or pirate those paid plugins for you. we can not implement them, as they are not free and not opensource.

• Hi flames,

I can't speak for the threadopener - but what concerns me, I would just like to see the address books of the roundcube mail-accounts populated through CardDav as client. There is actually a plugin for that, and in my understanding it is free. Since there is a plugin for roundcube-plugins in i-mscp, I think it would make sense to have it in there as well. At least I understood it would be (from the course of this thread) and was surprised it isn't.

Concerning the *dav-servers, I would be excited to see that in i-mscp. I am just testing this, with mixed results. I have installed Baikal, but can't really get it to work with my mobile phone or Thunderbird. OwnCloud (running on the same server) on the other hand works very well as *dav-server for contacts and calendars,but I would rather use the small and dedicated function of Baikal for this functionality.

If you know of a tut for Baikal in the i-mscp environment, I would happy to hear about it - couldn't find anything on this.

• @technotravel, so for you suits the option 1.
    the plugin you linked might actually work, as i last seen it, it was very unstable/unusable. hope that it is now working better, then it would be an awesome alternative to the paid plugins.
    there is a company (i don't like to link directly, please google) which offers a plugin, you can call it "pro" which is working very good. i will try to cut out some spare time to test the free plugin you linked.

the Baikal server i didnt knew yet, thanks for link (will test it also).
    my personal favorite is darwin calendar server http://calendarserver.org/ (it includes also carddav). it is a bit hard to setup, but it is the most reliable from my personal point of view.
    another one i tested a while ago is sabredav http://sabre.io/ (which is basically a php *dav library). btw. owncloud is using sabredav, and is prety reliable. it does not support push. because push is an activesync feature (microsoft) which were ported only to a few *dav servers. in most cases semi opensource stuff like "open exchange" and expensive non opensource groupware solutions.

edit: i want to share some of my personal experience with that. which is not alway up to date, so no warranty for the ultimate solutin :)

• Hey flames,

my turn to thank you for your links, they look interesting.

If you would like to save time and test my Baikal installation, I could send you the credentials. It seems to be set up correctly, I can create users, addressbooks, calendars. Just the clients (Android, Thunderbird) can't connect to it.

• heh, no, the client part is mostly the same with all of those implementations. but thanks for offering. thats not exactly what i want to test. my interest is how to implement it (installing, configuring, and integration with wither imscp or roundcube)

• btw. what is more interesting is a push service, in best case microsoft outlook compatible activesync like https://z-push.org/
    also, as z-push and sabre/dav are both written in php, they might be the most easiest to implement with imscp (i.e. as plugins), so that you not just allow any roundcube user to have adressbooks/calendars but even control them through imscp fine granulated (implementing them into hosting plans). but it needs to be ensured, that they are actively developed and updated. this is currently the case, but i.e. z-push had a really long inactivity phase and community was nearly dead.

• The z-push looks definitely interesting! And if it can be deployed with i-mscp, it would certainly be something very useful, in particular if users can register and maintain their own levels of implementation.

This will not be the case for Baikal, at least not in its current state of development. Only one admin, who can add address-books and calendars to users which he has to create first. I have finally managed to get Baikal working - after many unsuccessful attempts to tweak the database, the htaccess files or other settings, I decided to try the latest beta (0.3.5) and this one worked right out of the box!

I will now have to test for a while the practice of this setup, but if all works as should, the solution is good for me. I like the self-contained structure of Baikal with the sqlite database - everything is in one place (which is *not* Google) and easy to backup. For mail, IMAP is fine for me on computers and phone, and I never felt disturbing delays for contacts or calendar sync on my Android. So at this stage not really a burning need for z-push.

However, it would be nice to get the *dav joy extended to the Roundcube address-books, too. So I am very interested in your experiences with carddav plugin for Roundcube, and I hope you will let us know soon that it actually works! And then gets integrated into the RoundcubePlugin plugin ... :D