Why is there a translation for en_gb?

• Why is there a translation for en_gb available on Transifex? It is also the only available/selectable English language in the admin panel. So it seems to be just additional effort to maintain a translation which is not really a translation. I am confused :)

• Why is there a translation for en_gb available on Transifex? It is also the only available/selectable English language in the admin panel. So it seems to be just additional effort to maintain a translation which is not really a translation. I am confused :)

If you remove it, you'll not have the English language available in the panel. You shouldn't confuse the translation strings that are hard-coded in the code with the en_GB translation file.

Imagine the following scenario

Some new translation strings (hardcoded English translation strings) are added in the core with some mistakes. Well here, instead of fix these mistakes in the core directly, it's better to let the translator of the en_GB translation fix them by translating the strings in correct way.

So, this mean that even if you have some mistakes in the hard-coded strings, you can always let the translators fix these errors in their translation files instead of having to fix them in the core code. Why do that? Each time we fix a mistake in the core for hard-coded translation strings, all translators must review their translation files. By letting the English translator fix the errors in the en_GB translation file, we don't force all other translators to review their translation files.

For instance, these last days, you fixed several issues in the hard-coded translation strings. This has resulted in a bunch of works for all our translators. The better is to fix these issues in translation files (here, the en_GB file). Translators are responsible of their translation files, they can translate the strings in better way.

Generally, we must only fix the issue in the hard-coded translation strings only when a change for an argument (type specifier) is required.

I hope it's clear enough. ;)

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

Edited once, last by Nuxwin ().

• Typo fixed and explanation improved.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206