how to use with 2 HDD

• Hi there,

I have got a question.

I have got a server with 250GB HDD, I wanna buy a new 2TB HDD, but how can I include that 2TB to 250 storage? (sorry about poor english)

• Hello ;

You can do that only if you use LVM.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Hello ;

You can do that only if you use LVM.

And what if I have got two server machines and I would like to use that 2 as one? (If I would like to get 4TB storage for example. Cloud?)

• you share the volume on second server with nfs, ftp or sftp/ssh, then mount it into a folder on first server.
    but you wont get 1x 4tb volume that way, you will get a 2tb volume with a mounted folder that can contain another 2tb.

another way is to use a distributed file system, which obviously exceeds your knowledge, so better rent a cloud or one server with 4tb :)

• you share the volume on second server with nfs, ftp or sftp/ssh, then mount it into a folder on first server.
    but you wont get 1x 4tb volume that way, you will get a 2tb volume with a mounted folder that can contain another 2tb.

another way is to use a distributed file system, which obviously exceeds your knowledge, so better rent a cloud or one server with 4tb :)

Not enough money for 4tb cloud hosting.

Now I will try to get 1-2tb more space that will be enough for a lot and after I will buy 2 or more server pc for my own cloud hosting.

• And what If I mount the new HDD and I reroute all webpages to the new HDD? ... How could I do it? Wich files need to modify?

• MAKE BACKUP FIRST! DON'T BLAME ME, IF IT GOES WRONG :P

attention: sdb0 is just for example, find out what name your new hdd has and replace sdb0 in every command. sdb0 = first logical partition on second physical sata/scsi drive

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb0
    mkdir /media/sdb0
    mount /dev/sdb0 /media/sdb0

/etc/initd./apache2 stop
    cp -R /var/www/virtual/* /media/sdb0/
    mv /var/www/virtual /var/www/virtual.old

umount /media/sdb0
    mkdir /var/www/virtual
    mount /dev/sdb0 /var/www/virtual

edit /etc/fstab and add following line (this is needed so the hdd will be automatically mounted at reboot)
    /dev/sdb0 /var/www/virtual ext3 rw 0 0

/etc/init.d/apache2 start
    and see if any errors

if everything went well, we can clean up after all
    rm -rf /var/www/virtual.old
    rm -rf /media/sdb0

edit: and remember, this is just a second drive, it has no redundancy

Edited once, last by flames ().