DNS Settings lost - getting "Temporary failure in name resolution" (possibly out of topic)

• My new Ubuntu 18.04 server was set up and worked perfectly as far as DNS resolutions went.

I then installed the latest version of i-mscp and during the installation chose not to install a bind server. The installation went well, but afterwards the DNS settings were lost.

Adding a DNS entry to the resolv.conf provided temporary release, until I did a "imscp-reconfigure".

• Is the installation possibly changing the DNS entries even though I suggested no local bind server?
    • How do I reconfigure the DNS permanently in Ubuntu 18.04 server (out of topic question, but if anyone can help ;) )
  • How do I reconfigure the DNS permanently in Ubuntu 18.04 server (out of topic question, but if anyone can help ;) )

Never mind about this.

I figured to edit the file "/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head" instead of "/etc/resolv.conf"

and "sudo service resolvconf restart" afterwards

• My new Ubuntu 18.04 server was set up and worked perfectly as far as DNS resolutions went.

I then installed the latest version of i-mscp and during the installation chose not to install a bind server. The installation went well, but afterwards the DNS settings were lost.

Adding a DNS entry to the resolv.conf provided temporary release, until I did a "imscp-reconfigure".

Is the installation possibly changing the DNS entries even though I suggested no local bind server?
    How do I reconfigure the DNS permanently in Ubuntu 18.04 server (out of topic question, but if anyone can help ;) )

This depends on many factors... Currently, i-MSCP is installing the resolvconf package even if you don't install bind9. You should learn a bit about it. Anyway, you don't provide us with relevant informations:

• What is your network configuration provider exactly? ifupdown or netplan?

Please also read https://askubuntu.com/question…nterfaces/1052023#1052023 to learn more about change in Ubuntu 18.04.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Excellent answer Nuxwin . Thanks for the info.

Call me stupid, but I was blisfully unaware of the options for network configuration between ifupdown or netplan. I didn't install the server, but it looks like it is configured using ifupdown.

Currently, i-MSCP is installing the resolvconf package even if you don't install bind9.

In any case, this probably explains the resetting of the DNS after my install. It appears that after my update to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head, the DNS entries persist.

This may be closed.

• Nuxwin

Added the Label solved