Could not reach SMTP server through my home computer

• Hi everyone. I'm new here, so first things first ... hello to everyone.

I'm using the most current stable imscp on our vserver in Germany. Everything works absolutely flawless, to include sending & receiving from the web based emails service ... roundcube as well as rainloop. Haven't had time yet to play with the SQL settings, but aside from that all appears to be well. The problem that we're experiencing doesn't have so much to do with imscp, but I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.

I've spent the past couple of days reading my eyeballs off about smtp settings with Thunderbird, including the articles at the Mozilla site, and I can't figure out for the life of me why email works within the imscp webmail, but not on our Thunderbird. Receiving is no issue at all with Thunderbird, but every time that we try to send anything out ... we receive smtp error messages. I've tested and tested countless settings, smtp server specifically per domain, a default smtp server for all domains, test mail after test mail, etc. I believe the problem has to do with the default mail server ... which I'm not at all certain how the default smtp server in imscp is set up ???

Also, I noticed a new ??? setting in the updated imscp for YES/NO external mail servers. All of the domains have NO (greyed out) set as default. Could that be our problem? I've never noticed that setting in our older imscp. I'm hoping that whatever the standard installation default smtp server for imscp is ... will also work on our thunderbird emails ... if I only knew how to figure out the default setting.
    SMTP port settings on imscp as well as thunderbird emails are all set to 587.
    We have a server admin, but they're not real familair with imscp yet either.
    My apologies for not posting a strict imscp issue here in the forum. Just don't know where to turn anymore ... ;(

• Hello @LinWinux

• External mail feature that is provided by i-MSCP has nothing to do with your problem. Don't enable it if you don't know what you're doing.
    • If you can send/receive mails through roundcube/rainloop webmails, this means that the problem is on your side. You should show us the configuration settings you have set in Thunderbird (smtp server settings). Also please, give us the error message you're receiving when you try to send mail.

Edit: Post moved to i-MSCP Support Area » Usage corner.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Thanks for the response. I realize that the problem is on my end, mentioned as much in the post. Just don't know where else to turn. Our admin is pretty confounded at this point too. Set up an email for the admin and they tried getting it to work in their Thunderbird without any success. Crazy quirk going on somewhere ... ???
    Here's a screenshot. Let's see if this works ...

.001neuer_netcupserver01p.png

• @LinWinux

The screenshot is not sufficient. You must say us which parameters you have set for the smtp server in thunderbird. As I see, your mail client is not ables to reach the smtp server.

I've tested from my side and I can reach it:

Code
    1. nuxwin@dev:~$ dig a mail.winriddance.com @8.8.8.8; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u5-Debian <<>> a mail.winriddance.com @8.8.8.8;; global options: +cmd;; Got answer:;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 35452;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512;; QUESTION SECTION:;mail.winriddance.com.IN A;; ANSWER SECTION:mail.winriddance.com. 3449 IN A 37.120.191.251;; Query time: 36 msec;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8);; WHEN: Sun Feb 07 15:01:08 CET 2016;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 65

Code
    1. nuxwin@dev:~$ telnet mail.winriddance.com 587Trying 37.120.191.251...Connected to mail.winriddance.com.Escape character is '^]'.220 mail.winriddance.com ESMTP i-MSCP 1.2.11 ManagedEHLO localhost250-mail.winriddance.com250-PIPELINING250-SIZE250-VRFY250-ETRN250-STARTTLS250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES250-8BITMIME250 DSNquit221 2.0.0 ByeConnection closed by foreign host.

So, again, show us the settings you have set for the smtp server in your thunderbird mail client.

BTW: For the smtp server, you should use smtp.winriddance.com with port 587

Code
    1. nuxwin@dev:~$ dig smtp.winriddance.com @8.8.8.8; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u5-Debian <<>> smtp.winriddance.com @8.8.8.8;; global options: +cmd;; Got answer:;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 48188;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512;; QUESTION SECTION:;smtp.winriddance.com.IN A;; ANSWER SECTION:smtp.winriddance.com. 3599 IN A 37.120.191.251;; Query time: 69 msec;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8);; WHEN: Sun Feb 07 15:15:21 CET 2016;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 65

• @LinWinux

For instance smtp server settings for my Icedove (Thunderbird under Debian) mail client are:

icedove.png

Note: Password is hidden here ;)

• Well, the screenshot shows the current setting. I've also tried the same setting while using "mail" instead of the smtp. I've tried every type of security option that Thunderbird allows, including normal password without any special security. This is insane. I've used imscp on 3 different servers during the past few years, but this is the first time that we can't figure out what the heck is going on. Our home computers are Linux (Mint) boxes and they're all connected with PIA vpn service. We've been using the vpn service for a year though. Never had any problems with that ...
    Here's the screenshot you wanted ...

EDIT: I had my thunderbird set up that way too. Where you have the user/smtp server on the bottom, under the STARTTLS ... that's where I wasn't sure what to use since I have several email accounts set up on my thnderbird. How can I add a user to the default smtp server there, when I'm using several email accounts together?

.001neuer_netcupserver01q.png

• @LinWinux

Well, first, you must specify an username (with a valid password) and authentication method.

Now about the issue: Can you try to do a telnet smtp.winriddance.com 587 from your home computer? Also a dig please (see my previous post).

Thanks.

• How can I add a user to the default smtp server there, when I'm using several email accounts together?

I never used more than one account from i-MSCP in my mail client. Well, In your case, I think that it is preferable to configure one smtp server per account. You could try to reuse one user for the default smtp server if you really want use only one smtp server configuration for all your i-MSCP mail accounts. The fact is that you must set an user with valid password, else, the mail will not be accepted because in any case, SASL authentication is required.

• Thanks. Not sure how to use that "dig" command. Did a copy/paste and received a syntax error because of the >> in the command.

Telnet command = telnet smtp.winriddance.com 587
    Query response = Trying 37.120.191.251...
    (that's the correct IP of the server)
    Final response = telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

I am and have been using smtp.winriddance.com with thunderbird port setting at 587

It looks to me like there's something "missing" on my home setup.
    (probably the same thing that the admin is missing on their computer too) ?(

EDIT: Okay, gotcha on the dig command. I'm not sure if posting the output of that would be appropriate since the result of "dig" shows a bunch of different IP numbers, possibly some that belong to hardware from other people?

• @LinWinux

Definitively not a problem from your mail client. As I see, you cannot reach your server through your home computer... Any firewall? Do you have fail2ban installed on your remote (i-MSCP) server? If yes, ensure that you're not banned.

BTW: The dig command to run was: dig smtp.winriddance.com @8.8.8.8 but as I see, your resolver is ok.