First time upgrading (1.3.8 -> 1.3.10) and broke i-MSCP.

• I’ve had i-MSCP 1.3.8 running (on Trusty) since the day it was released, so I am still new. I attempted to upgrade to 1.3.10 but bailed out of the installer when it asked me for SQL server information that seemed to indicate it was trying to do a new installation instead of an upgrade. I must have omitted the “-d” parameter. Now i-MSCP is broken, and even when I try to run the installer with the “-d” parameter, I am being prompted for details that terrify me (what IP addresses to allocate, etc.)

Running the 1.3.8 installer with the “-d” option halts with the following error: “iMSCP::Stepper::_callback: Initialization vector must be exactly 8 bytes long when using the Crypt::Blowfish cipher at /usr/local/src/imscp-1.3.8/engine/PerlLib/iMSCP/Crypt.pm line 487.” Evidently, 1.3.10 code and SQL Database changes have been written but something has been lost. I have my imscp and config backups (from /var/www/imscp/backups) tucked away and am hoping the solution is in there.

Help!

Regards,

/\/\___

“There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand base-2 and those who do not.”

• There was changes in the encryption, so passwords needed to be redone. It is normal for certain questions to be asked again on this upgrade from 1.3.8. It is super important to read errata data prior to your install/upgrade. Certain plugins should be deactivated which is stated in errata data. It should update all good. Backups are a must prior to any update in case you need to restore and start again.

“Life is all an Elaborate Hoax”

• I did read the errata, but did not see any indication there of anything that would indicate a problem for me. I have no plugins installed.

Should it be asking me for SQL Database username and password? It seems it it wanting to do a new installation. It is showing me the list of configured IP addresses and asking me which ones it should use. All of that was already configured. I am terrified and do not know how to proceed.

Regards,

/\/\___

“There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand base-2 and those who do not.”

• Yes it needs new passwords because encryption method has been changed so it will ask again.
    This is directly from the errata data here

Database password (i-MSCP Master SQL user password)
    Because i-MSCP now uses the AES-256 (Rijndael) algorithm in CBC mode to encrypt data (was Blowfish in CBC mode previously), the database keys file will be automagically regenerated and you'll be asked again for the SQL data.

Even if you do a complete reinstall, from my previous experience, nothing gets lost when a complete install is performed over existing installation.

• Thanks, texxasrulez.

I appreciate your responses. I am back up and running. Here is what I did:

• Created another CURRENT (as broken) SQL dump of the “imscp” database (just in case).
    • Restored the “imscp” database from last night’s backup (current enough)
    • Ran the 1.3.10 auto-installer with the “-d” option this time.
    • This time I was prompted for the SQL user name and all that, but I was NOT prompted for the scary stuff (IP addresses). I take this to mean that by restoring the database I reversed whatever damage I had done by omitting the “-d” option the first time.

I’m all good now. It has been a rough week for me—many long hours recovering from the distrusting of my CA by Apple and others—and I was not emotionally ready for another long night of clawing my way from the edge of the abyss. Your remarks gave me the confidence to proceed. My hat is off to you, my friend.

/\/\___

Regards,

/\/\___

• I am glad to hear ... Backups are the best ... I like to help out when I can.

Now you should get some plugin action going. Really expands i-MSCP.

LetsEncrypt is the bomb. By far my favorite plugin and plus, no more ssl fees every year and it works at the push of a button ....

Good luck and have a good one. It is late and I am going to hit the rack now ... Peace

• Hmmm… I have some experience with LetsEncrypt, but in my testing I found that Apple is not trusting LetsEncrypt certificates either. So frustrating!

Regards,

/\/\___

• I know nothing about Apple and that is by choice ...

Check out https://community.letsencrypt.…support-lets-encrypt/4394

It shows the Apple products that support LetsEncrypt and there are a few apple products with links to do things. One reason I don't do Apple. They do not like to play nice with others IMHO ...

Good Luck ...