pbzip2 replacement

• Hi Guys,

So, bzip2 is a linear process and doesn't use multiple cores/processors. The replacement, pbzip2 does. It's in the default debian repositories. I think it should be what's used with i-mscp.

Adding 'pbzip2' to the required installs
    changing line 323 of imscp.conf to be: CMD_BZIP = /usr/bin/pbzip2
    changing line 127 of imscp-backup-all to be: "--use-compress-prog=".lc($main::imscpConfig{CMD_BZIP}),

sound good?

Edited once, last by Nuxwin ().

• anarking - Sounds awesome, and as gOOvER said, created a ticket for feature request and I am pretty sure it will be implemented.

I'll add it in master (as replacement if you want)

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• cool nux, i think replacement makes the most sense.

i am actively developing i-mscp often, so a lot of this stuff happens, and i don't always want to bug other people to do work, so should i be making tickets and how would you like patches submitted? i'm familiar with git, but not the trac system so much.

next 'enhancement' besides the backup system i'm working on, is to have a domain option for backups to be either weekly or daily.

oh, btw, missed one part, line 127 of imscp-backup-all needs to now be;

"--use-compress-prog=".lc($main::imscpConfig{CMD_BZIP}),

what used to take 30 minutes, now takes 8 minutes. on a 4 vCPU VPS. :)

Edited once, last by anarking ().

• here are my tests on a production server-4quad-8cores (i-mscp 1.1.0rc-1) with 31 domains on.
    the backup volume(compressed) is about 28GB (all domains)

with bzip2: real 35m47.026s | Load average = 1.23

with pbzip2: real 12m37.498s | Load average = 5.86

so pbzip2 will cut down the backuptime to 30% but increase the Load average to much i think.

• Hello ;

pbzip2 is now in master -> https://github.com/i-MSCP/imsc…bc5a243bfeb23004e2cbf0655

I've not integrated it as show above since doing that do not allow the admin to switch to another compression algorithm.

Note: Default compression algorithm is always bzip2 but the program used is now pbzip2 instead of bzip2.

For users that already have i-MSCP installed and that want switch to pbzip2, they must edit the ZIP setting in the /etc/imscp/imscp.conf file. You can of course switch back to the bzip2 compression program by editing the ZIP setting.

For the record, available compression algorithms are now:

bzip2, pbzip2 (same as bzip2 but with parallel feature) gzip, lzma and xz

Thanks you for using i-MSCP

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

Edited once, last by Nuxwin ().