Bulk update

• Hi,

I have 1.2.1 running on about 100 servers. About half of them were running ispcp before and when I migrated to imscp I had to do it manually for each and everyone of them. Now I would really like to update to 1.2.15 and I would like to do it in a bulk without any service disruption, like skip all the rebuilding of php-fpm pools, rebuilding of mailboxes etc. What I would like to do is just rsync the new version to /var/www/imscp run an SQL update, do a config upgrade where needed and restart the panel. I know the plugin part has been rewritten so I would have to disable plugins and enable them a again. But is there anything else. Could you the developers who know every corner of the system tell me what I need to keep in mind when doing an update like this. I have played a bit with the preseed option, disabled the unwanted rebuilding to try to achieve this, but somewhere also I read that the preseed option was not intended for an update. Any tips and pointers would be really appreciated.

Best

Siggi

• It will be not possible to update imscp without regenerating config files. If you had modifications, just create a listener-file. For updates without ui use the preseed-feature:
    http://wiki.i-mscp.net/doku.php?id=start:preseeding

So here what you need to do:

3-5 can be done automatically with a small bash-script :-)

• @siggi

As stated by @Ninos, you cannot upgrade without regenerating configuration files. New versions can provide changes in configuration files and this explain why the installer need to regenerate them. With i-MSCP, the standard way to add custom changes is to use listener files. They allows to re-apply your custom changes automatically on update.

About the preseed feature, you can use it even on update.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Thanks both of you, I will give it a try. Still I might disable shutting down services while rebuilding some config files, at least until the end of the update progress.

Best

Siggi