Installation suggestions

• Hi guys,

I am installing i-mscp on a virtual machine right now, and I have some suggestions.

1. In the installation page of the wiki, step 4 tells you to secure the mysql installation. However, my system is completely clean at this point (no packages installed, so no mysql server). Therefore, I suggest moving this step to after the setup has run. Would there be any problem with this change? Changed.

2. During the setup, I can choose between "apache_fcgi" and "apache_itk". I'm sorry but this makes no sense :P We need more accurate names for these. As far as "apache_fcgi" goes, I know that it uses the "worker_mpm + mod_fcgi" combination (because that's what the other project used). About "apache_itk", I can *not* figure out if it consists on "apache_itk + mod_fcgi" or "apache_itk + mod_php". I guess I can discover this by reading the source or just getting it installed, but the descriptions in this choice should be improved so that competent admins can properly identify the coices they are offered. Furthermore, some recommendation should be given for "rookie" admins that don't know anything about apache, mpm's, handling php and stuff...

3. I am offered a "Cancel" option when choosing between alternative implementations for the services. However, nothing happens if I select "Cancel" (to either go back or abort the installation). We should either remove the "Cancel" choice or make it operational.

4. (nitpick) In the choices again, it is not clear to me what happens when I select a different choice (without marking it by pressing space) and then hit Intro. Did I just "okayed" the marked choice, or the one that was hovered (selected but not marked)? I still don't know the answer :P

5. Do we really need selection screens for services where we have no alternatives (e.g.: smtp/postfix and ftp/proftpd)?

6. There are lots of choices to make during the installation. This is great for professional/advanced admins, but we also have some users who are not that technically advanced. Therefore, I suggest adding an "easy" installation mode that skips all these choices, by simply installing the defaults.

I may keep updating this post as I proceed through the installation... :P

Edited once, last by kilburn ().

• 1. In the installation page of the wiki, step 4 tells you to secure the mysql installation. However, my system is completely clean at this point (no packages installed, so no mysql server). Therefore, I suggest moving this step to after the setup has run. Would there be any problem with this change? Changed.

Thanks. never looked at wiki.

2. During the setup, I can choose between "apache_fcgi" and "apache_itk". I'm sorry but this makes no sense :P We need more accurate names for these. As far as "apache_fcgi" goes, I know that it uses the "worker_mpm + mod_fcgi" combination (because that's what the other project used). About "apache_itk", I can *not* figure out if it consists on "apache_itk + mod_fcgi" or "apache_itk + mod_php". I guess I can discover this by reading the source or just getting it installed, but the descriptions in this choice should be improved so that competent admins can properly identify the coices they are offered. Furthermore, some recommendation should be given for "rookie" admins that don't know anything about apache, mpm's, handling php and stuff...

Agree with names, i`ll change them. About more info about selection i will take a look guess is possible to add a Help button.

3. I am offered a "Cancel" option when choosing between alternative implementations for the services. However, nothing happens if I select "Cancel" (to either go back or abort the installation). We should either remove the "Cancel" choice or make it operational.

On to do list (make it operational).

4. (nitpick) In the choices again, it is not clear to me what happens when I select a different choice (without marking it by pressing space) and then hit Intro. Did I just "okayed" the marked choice, or the one that was hovered (selected but not marked)? I still don't know the answer :P

Selected (marked) think is installed. Maybe a new screen to confirm selections at end is ok?

5. Do we really need selection screens for services where we have no alternatives (e.g.: smtp/postfix and ftp/proftpd)?

there is also a "no server" option that is hided, because of dovecot problems at uninstall. once fixed will be revealed.

6. There are lots of choices to make during the installation. This is great for professional/advanced admins, but we also have some users who are not that technically advanced. Therefore, I suggest adding an "easy" installation mode that skips all these choices, by simply installing the defaults.

good suggestion. Putted on todo list.