Custom www DNS record

• Hi,

A few users on our system have their www A record pointed to another host or cname and only use our server for pop3 / imap / dns.
    Is it possible to safely overwrite these records? This is not allowed in the custom dns menu and it seems dangerous to do in the zone files because these are rewritten on every custom dns change?
    I could probably patch this behaviour myself by allowing these custom records and writing these records to the zone file if custom values exist instead of the server IP. But I would love to know if such feature is already on its way or somehow possible nonetheless.

Kind Regards,

D

• In effect it would be nice to have a fully customizable DNS as in plesk or cpanel...
    How much difficult would be to implement something like that ?

of course it would be nice to have, but this should be a feature, only for admin or reseller.
    Or a 'reset to default' function is a !! must have !! if this is on user level(maybe a button)

• Why would this only be usefull for admin or resellers? This should be a user level feature. It is usefull for more advanced users but right now the Custom DNS entries are exposed at the user level already.
    If a user is changing his www, mx or spf records he better knows what he is doing.

So its safe to state such functionality is not present.
    I will dive into the code and make an assessment of the required work.
    I really need to be able to change the A www record and just noticed that the spf txt records need to be exposed for modification as well.

• @David

All you are asking will be possible when we will store all DNS data into the database. Currently some DNS resource records are statically defined in template file and this explain why is not so easy to let users redefine them without any drawback.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• @David
    Not every user has knowledge of dns stuff. And i know at least 10 of my customers who would play around with it. 9 of them are DAU's.
    And now think what would happen if they have this feature.

My phone would ring all day and i have to restore the dns entrys. ;-)

• @FISA4

Don't worry ;) This behavior will be fixed ASAP. I explain:

In current version, the DNS zone is verified during compilation (named-compilezone) and when an error is detected the backend die with an error status. Then the admin must fix the error, set the status to 'tochange' and run the backend script... This behavior is bad for at least two reasons:

• The backend exit with an error and any other tasks, which doesn't belong to the same context, are not processed
    • The customer must ask its reseller to solve the problem

The first problem will be solved with a job queue where each task will be isolated from other. (It's a bit more complicated but I think you understand me).
    The second problem will be solved by simply reusing the previous DNS zone in case the new one is wrong. Of course, the customer will be warned about this error and so, will be able to review the configuration without having to ask its reseller.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Ok.
    And if a customer makes any shit, he has to pay to fix it. :P

@FISA4
    That is basicly how it works yes. A simple warning telling the user the possible impact of changing the records would help as well.
    If a user still changes an important record and his site is showing something different then he knows his change was not a smart move ;-)

@Nuxwin
    Are you telling me this is planned / a desired change?
    I do understand the amount of work that is required to get rid of the template with the static records being compiled in. But I might like to help out if someone points me out the required places in the framework that need work.