Zugriff auf IP

• Ok so it's a catchall for all ip based requests? I hope I've understood that you plan to create a server default page (just ip based) what I want to do with my plugin?

• @Ninos

The idea is to provide a way to defined a default page for any IP based request. Many user don't want the panel as default page for security reasons. The default page should be provided either using a skeleton (default) or any site the admin want. This should be easily configurable through the admin panel.

About your plugin which is not compatible with the coming 1.2.x serie, I don't really know what you mean.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• My plugin is doing the same thing just for all requests (also not existing subdomains) without available vhost. I think it would be a better security (by obscurity) to catch also all undefined ips?

• Re;

About the undefined IP as you said

It's already the case. The first sample I've provided handle all interfaces on which Apache is listening except those for which a vhost is available under /etc/apache2/sites-available. This is the exact purpose of the __default__ vhosts.

About the inexistent subdomain catchall

I don't like answer the requests for nonexistent subdomains. The appropriate behavior for those requests is to not answer at all.

You, you need such a catchall because you added a wildcard DNS in your dns zone files but it's really not recommended and it's not the normal behavior. The way to go is to register the DNS server provided by i-MSCP as servername in your registrar's interface. I know that most of users use the DNS from their registrar and add a wildcard DNS for the subdomains but it's a hackship which is not a way to go.

• Do you have a timeline? :D

For the >= 1.1.11 && < 1.2.x release it's ready and should be stable. You can already use it :)
    https://github.com/Ninos/ServerDefaultPage

I don't like answer the requests for nonexistent subdomains. The appropriate behavior for those requests is to not answer at all.

If a user writes the not existing subdomain with the server ip into an own host-file, he'll see the panel without knowing the url. It's not a problem, but because of that I also used this way. But I understand your plan and think it's also good (more better than yet). If someone needs a solution like I described, he can use my plugin (after your commits I'll update it :)). I just need a way to load my vhosts after all the other virtual hosts, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I know that most of users use the DNS from their registrar and add a wildcard DNS for the subdomains but it's a hackship which is not a way to go.

I'm planning it, after dualstack is supported and also spf/txt records will be added automatically OR after a server migration. I love the way that I don't need to handle records anymore :)

• @Ninos

I've understand your laziness but when I say, this is not recommended to add a wildcard DNS for inexistent subdomains, it's because your httpd server will be open for too many requests made by bots and so on for nothing. You can down a server quickly with such a setup.

• Ah yeah also because of that I'll use imscp in near future also as nameserver :) I just think that's still better to catch all requests, if a server needs to handle them. Better to output an html-file than returning an php-based website. But like I said, this pleople than can use my plugin.. :)