Improved Backup System

• The backup system is good, but an awesome feature would be the ability to specify an ftp / dropbox / amazon cloud or other remote location to upload database backups.

Example:

Backup destination ftp.myremoteserver.com
    user
    pass
    port
    passive

and boom it uploads those backups to a cloud service.

Alternatively even a bash script (perhaps I should research this) to itterate though /var/www/virtual/../backup and then upload all files that have term SQL in it to the ftp of my choice.

Hmmm challenge accepted...

• The backup feature will be renewed in the next version (1.2). But the idea with an ftp upload is new. Maybe you can extend the ticket with an entry?

• Alternatively even a bash script (perhaps I should research this) to itterate though /var/www/virtual/../backup and then upload all files that have term SQL in it to the ftp of my choice.

So why don't you just write such a script to transfer/backup the data anywhere else!?
    Just waiting for the one that needs imscp-assistance for the toilet...

• Just waiting for the one that needs imscp-assistance for the toilet...

CHUCKLES :thumbsup:

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Yeah I totally asked for a plugin to help me go to the toilet.... you totally zinged me @bilogist well played indeed. Stupid me trying to answer a thread about a feature I'd like to see....

I find it kind of stupid that these threads exist to solicit requests for features then someone ridicules them, thats really awesome.

Take a look at the virtualmin open source hosting control panel for their backup system its what im talking about, I have already written a script for myself, thats easy. But the ability to make a customer have a gui and an interface to do this sort of off site backup for themselves.

https://www.virtualmin.com/book/export/html/12150

This is my suggestion flame me if you want.

David

• @Shinzan

Please, let your BIG EGO (and maybe also your hero' complex) out of this project.
    If you do not understand our humour, it's not our fault. ;) We already talked about such a reaction in private isn't it? :rolleyes:

Thank you.

• This is my suggestion flame me if you want.
    David

Its not only you who thinks about this reactions.

Please, let your BIG EGO (and maybe also your hero' complex) out of this project.
    If you do not understand our humour, it's not our fault. ;) We already talked about such a reaction in private isn't it? :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Maybe some more people thinks like @Shinzan and probably don't want to help you because of your ego.

b2t,

a feature like this would be helpful but not really important. For example when you got vms that you snapshot every hour.

• Seems as I should go a little more into detail....

1) It starts with the partition-layout - said this it's also highly depended on the size of your harddisks. Some backup-strategies rely on the generation of TARs, which are stored at least temporarily on backuped system. In this case, you have to make sure, these backups are stored on a seperate partition, as otherwise e.g. the root-partition could be affected because it's running out of space. Not only because of the backup-files that are maybe growing by the time... What if the generated TARs are saved and cannot get transferred to the destination? And whats the reason for this? Backup-capacity reached? Firewall? Backup-system down? These are just some reasons and most of them require manual interaction. When you implemented this stuff by yourself, you know how to fix that. You are familiar with that! If you just rely on imscp, like many users without doubts, you likely do not. Result: additional community-questions.

2) The strategy on how to backup a system depends on the data you host and especially the amount. In my opinion it takes really big efforts to abstract this. Why do you want imscp to do that? It's your job! You have to know how often and in which way data has to be backuped. And while doing this: you don't have to start from scratch. There are tons of tools freely available. And in the end, there's still rsync - use it!

3) Say there's a backup-feature implemented - there are tons of ways to backup-data. I guess new requests will drop in on and on for new ways to be implemented. It's just additional work that shifts imscp's focus.

I'm not a developer of this project, but I'm simply astonished about all these feature requests. There are questions on and on about things, that should be basic stuff for an administrator. I'm sure a lot of imscp-users have absolutely no clue of how much stuff already got automated. Really! I can tell you: I do, because I'm running imscp on Gentoo and have to perform all of these install-steps manually. I have to touch almost every config to get it running. Yes, this absolutely my problem and I don't recommend it. But I'm really wondering about administrators that profit from a fully automated install-task (using Ubuntu/Debian) and still are too lazy to do basic tasks on their own. Running a server means to accept responsibility!

• Our EGO ? Well please, start by making some pull requests and we talk after. You come here with only 3 posts and start to talk in that way... It's incredible...

If you are not happy with that project and/or with our way to manage it, you can see for other similar projects. We do not need your help, don't worry. We have a ton of requests from people which want integrate our development team (almost only to be able to say: I'm developer at i-MSCP...). Do you really think we are waiting for guys like you? To resume: instead of your la la la, just show us your power. Once it's done, you can start to talk with us. ;)

Thank you.