With this howto mail settings get automatically configured if a user sets up an email account in Thunderbird or Outlook 2007+.
If the user has the email account firstname.lastname@example.org, the mail clients look in different locations:
Thunderbird looks for settings in:
Outlook looks for settings in:
Since I have a DNS wildcard for every domain to the server I use autoconfig.*/autodiscover.*.
1. edit 00_master_ssl.conf (or whatever your first SSL virtual host is)
Add this alias in the "SECTION custom" block:
2. Put the files autodiscover/autodiscover.php and mail/config-v1.1.xml (see attachment) in the imscp public folder (or to the htdocs folder from the first virtualhost):
And adjust them to your needs. (I configured TLS and mail.emaildomain.ch with IMAP/SMTP)
3. reload apache:
service apache2 reload
[size=large]You need to do this howto every time you update imscp!
- Both Thunderbird and Outlook display a certificate warning for the SMTP/IMAP domain, since there is probably no valid certificate for mail.emaildomain.ch. You can also use admin.yourdomain.ch as IMAP/SMTP server if you have a valid SSL certificate for it.
- Outlook also shows a SSL warning for autodiscover.emaildomain.ch
- You can also configure POP3 instead of IMAP, see the documentation for the correct settings.
- You can also setup a seperate vhost with "Serveralias autoconfig.* autodiscover.*" and PHP configured. This one wouldn't be deleted on imscp updates but needs a bit tinkering.
(The TLS option is undocumented for Outlook, I found it somewhere on the internet...)