using external dns

• Hi Forum,

we got quite a number of customers with individual dns records, so i´d like to use an external dns instead of the integrated one. Also our main DNS is on a different system than the hosting-system.
    Is there an option to disable the creation / modification of the zone-files completely ? So if a customer creates a subdomain/alias the skeleton would be created but the zone-files wouldn´t be modified automatically ?

Would imscp modify existing entries ? If i alter some A, TXT, SRV, MX - Settings in the zone-file would they be overwritten ?

would be nice if somebody could give me a hint.
    cheers
    bernd

• If you alter DNS settings directly to bind files, it will be overwritten with a reboot or modification done from the control panel that triggers the scripting. If you make a change directly, like with other config files either fully or partially controlled by i-mscp, you need to change them in /etc/imscp/(service name, ie. bind)/working

You can also make broad changes by modifying the /parts files or Perl scripts that handle these things. beauty of open source.

Hope that helps.

• I´ve looked into the imsp.conf and compared to ispcp / vhcs2 which i used earlier.
    By setting the NAMED_SERVER = no the bind-management seems to be disabled completely.
    I´ve tested manual changes to the zone file, reboot, changing entries whith the gui - zone file stays the same.

That´s quite exactly what i needed, thought i post it if somebody needs the same.

Bernd

• I would like to disable the dns server completely - is there a way to use the imscp-setup for it? I don't need the dns at all, neither for imscp domains nor for any other reasons, it's fine if it's completely uninstalled. Any suggestions?

Code
    1. root@ginger:/etc/imscp# grep "bind" imscp.conf
    2. NAMED_SERVER = bind

Update: See this thread for the new feature added in 1.1.3 - use of external nameservers in stable