Setting up i-MSCP on a Godaddy Self Managed VPS

• Since Godaddy is still only offering Debian 8 for their GEN4 Servers and LTS is over in two months of this posting, I had quite the ride updating and installing my system. Only snag I ran into was an intermittent issue sending emails. I could reply, but not compose. Then the very next day, I could compose but not reply. Truly a headscratcher. Godaddy support pages or their tech support will offer ZERO info on their SMTP Relay config requirements outside of a URL. So with a little patience and a lot of time, I figured out the optimal listener file to use. I am using the USA Relay, but I am sure this will work for other regions.

I am providing my installation steps from a fresh provisioned server with Debian 8 all the way to a completed system running Debian 9 with most plugins offered by the i-MSCP team installed and working as expected.

Anyway, I have a great running system and here is what I did ...

Upgrade Debian 8 to Debian 9

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Edit Sources for upgrade to 9

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Change all instances of jessie to stretch, save, exit and continue with upgrade to 9

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I took all maintaners versions and when completed, I did a manual reboot.

Once rebooted, you can run cat /etc/os-release to verify successful upgrade to Debian 9

Then I ran sudo apt-get autoremove to clean up some files

Setup i-MSCP:

Super Easy

Run the following commands:

cd /usr/local/src

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get --assume-yes --auto-remove --no-install-recommends dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get -y --auto-remove --no-install-recommends install ca-certificates perl \

whiptail wget

sudo wget https://github.com/i-MSCP/imsc…e/1.5.3-2018120800.tar.gz

sudo tar -xzf 1.5.3-2018120800.tar.gz

cd imscp-1.5.3-2018120800

sudo perl imscp-autoinstall -d

I chose not to install Bind for my install, since I am running on my domain registrars network, but chose the options you want and let the install script complete.

After successful installation, open a web browser and go to http://panel.yourdomain.com:8080

The first thing I always do is install LetsEncrypt Plugin which is as simple as uploading plugin and activating it.

Create SSL Certs for your Control Panel and Services located under the "System Tools - Let's Encrypt" tab in your control panel.

Log out and go to https://panel.yourdomain.com:4443 for your new secure connection and install the rest of your plugins and configure i-MSCP for your needs.

List of Plugins I use and the packages required prior to activation of plugins.

ClamAV Install

sudo apt-get install clamav clamav-base clamav-daemon clamav-freshclam clamav-milter

sudo service clamav-freshclam stop

sudo freshclam

sudo service clamav-freshclam start

sudo service clamav-daemon restart

Cron Jobs Install

sudo apt-get install msmtp

Instant SSH Install

sudo apt-get install flex libpam-chroot python-magic strace

Mailgraph Install

sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install mailgraph

Mailman Install

sudo apt-get install mailman

newlist mailman

service mailman restart

Monitorix Install

apt-get install mailgraph librrds-perl

cd /usr/local/src

wget https://www.monitorix.org/monitorix_3.12.0-izzy1_all.deb

apt-get install rrdtool libmime-lite-perl libhttp-server-simple-perl libhttp-server-simple-perl libconfig-general-perl librrds-perl

dpkg -i monitorix_3.12.0-izzy1_all.deb

OpenDKIM Install

sudo apt-get install opendkim opendkim-tools

PhpSwitcher

Easy as uploading and activating plugin

Policy SPF Install

sudo apt-get install postfix-policyd-spf-perl

PolicyD Weight Install

sudo apt-get install policyd-weight

Postgrey Install

sudo apt-get install postgrey

Spamassassin Install

sudo apt-get install spamassassin spamass-milter libmail-dkim-perl libnet-ident-perl libencode-detect-perl pyzor razor

If you were lucky, you should have a working system at this point.

After setting up basics (reseller, customers, etc) use listener file 10_postfix_tuning.pl shown below with slight modifications to be able to send email through Godaddy's SMTP Relay. Some entries seem redundant, but didn't work reliably until I added everything shown in Example below.

Save 10_postfix_tuning.pl in /etc/imscp/listeners.d ..

Disable CronJobs plugin in Admin Control Panel ...

Run the following command:

sudo perl /var/www/imscp/engine/setup/imscp-reconfigure -danv

Let the script do its thing and you should be good to go. (Remember to enable CronJobs Plugin)

Example of what I used. Just change 'smtp_bind_address' to your servers public ip and/or the relayhost URL if located outside the United States.

I have been sending, replying and every other way email can fly that I can think of with no issues.

I hope this helps anyone who is stuck with Godaddy and having to update their outdated systems to run modern software.

As always, I want to thank the developers for a wonderful control panel and look forward to the future.

Have a great day! :thumbsup:

System Details

Debian GNU/Linux 9 (Stretch)

PHP Ver: 7.1.33 (Default)

MYSQL Ver: 5.7.29

FPM/FastCGI

ProFTPD Version 1.3.5b

i-MSCP 1.5.3 | Build: 2018120800 | Codename: Ennio Morricone

Plugins Installed and Active

ClamAV - Ver. 1.3.0

CronJobs - Ver. 1.4.1

InstantSSH - Ver. 5.0.1

LetsEncrypt - Ver. 3.5.0

Mailgraph - Ver. 1.1.1

Mailman - Ver. 2.0.4

Monitorix - Ver. 1.2.2

OpenDKIM - Ver. 2.0.0

PhpSwitcher - Ver. 5.0.5 (Compiled versions installed: php7.2, php7.3, php7.4)

PolicydSPF - Ver. 1.2.0

PolicydWeight - Ver. 1.3.0

Postgrey - Ver. 1.3.0

Postscreen - Ver. 1.2.0

RoundcubePlugins - Ver. 2.0.2

SpamAssassin - Ver. 2.0.1

“Life is all an Elaborate Hoax”

Edited 4 times, last by texxasrulez ().