Mountpoints will be removed from i-MSCP

• Because of Ticket http://trac.i-mscp.net/ticket/567 Nuxwin researched the last two Days.

For now, with next RC Release, mount points for Alias and Subdomain will be removed and redirects will be offered as only option.

Reasons for this:

- Mount points make more problems then they are useful

- in some context Proftpd will not start ( http://trac.i-mscp.net/ticket/571 )

- Not really good for SEO (duplicate Content)

Sorry for this

Edited once, last by Nuxwin ().

• Do I understand correctly?

It's still possible to either install a redirection on a alias/subdomain or have an own website for this.

The second case needs a mount point - but maybe not a user defined mount point - only default mount point...

So only the user defined mount points are disabled... ???

/Joxi

• joximu
    domain.com and domain.de cannot have the same mountpoint/files like
    /var/www/virtual/domain.com/htdocs/

• Hello ;

Any mount point will now be static. If an user want provide same content for two domains, subdomain and so on, he can use HTTP redirections.

See the following tickets to know why shared mount points feature will be removed. We have issues with that feature since VHCS and never get it fixed.

Thanks you for using iMSCP

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Some info about the update path I'm currently working:

An update path based on the rules described below will be provided:

• Any entity sharing a mount point will be moved in its own static mount point
    • If many entities share the same mount points (strictly identical), the first entity that has been created will be moved in its own static mount point and for the others, an HTTP redirection to the first entity will be set as 301 (permanent).
    • Mount points of entities for which an HTTP redirection is already set will be managed as follow:

• If the mount point of the entity doesn't exists, the HTTP redirection will be set to 301 (permanent)
      • If the mount point of the entity exists and is free of any data, it will be deleted and the HTTP redirection will be set as 301 (permanent)
      • If the mount point of the entity exists and is not free of any data, the HTTP redirection will be set as 302 (temporary)

Note: Here, an entity refers to either a domain alias or a subdomain.

Thanks you for using i-MSCP.

• Makes sense. One thing though, is it possible to keep it so that if a domain alias/subdomain is created with a mount point, that if it is later chosen to have redirect, keep the mount point and data?

Many users like to use this feature temporarily to redirect while they work with files. A lot of people are not good with .htaccess redirects on their own. Not everyone is so technical ;)

Mount points of entities for which an HTTP redirection is already set will be simply deleted (as for in the last i-MSCP versions, when using HTTP redirections, the mount points are not created). Of course, the setup will show a specific warning about such deletion to allow the administrator to do a backup of any data.

I agree, anything that is created as a redirect, does not need a mount point, but if it already has a mount point and is chosen to redirect, it should keep the mount point, or perhaps ask user (checkbox?) for "permanent redirect", which would delete mount point, or if not checked, leave mount point, so they can remove the redirect later. please don't demand they delete the data.

A lot of people really like the domain alias/subdomain redirection for temporary uses, it is a good and necessary feature, that is great i-MSCP has it.

Everything else makes sense, if redirect only, no mount point, and definitely not using the same mount point. Just the "temporary" redirect situation is very important.

Edited once, last by anarking ().

• Hello ;

Yes, I'll add that possibility, eg create static mount point for data but allow to switch to HTTP redirection without removing the data. ;)

Thanks you for using i-MSCP.

• Question - would it be possible to add the Entity (Alias or Subdomain) as "ServerAlias" to an existing domain.

This would allow for example to manage Several domains in one CMS... (same mount point).

Would also be the time to use the word "Alias" in a more correct way... :-)

/J

• Question - would it be possible to add the Entity (Alias or Subdomain) as "ServerAlias" to an existing domain.

This would allow for example to manage Several domains in one CMS... (same mount point).

It's possible but can pose some SEO problem (duplicate content). That for generally, we are using HTTP redirections.

Would also be the time to use the word "Alias" in a more correct way... :-)

What is an alias for you ? A domain redirected to another one? And so, in such case, we must rename domain alias (as it's now) as domain and just allow the customer to set it as alias of domain(s), either with HTTP redirections (301 for permanent redirection or 302 for temporary redirection) or with the Apache ServerAlias directive (that is not really a redirection and causes some SEO problems due to duplicate content)?

Read this http://www.aitechsolutions.net…veralias-redirection.html too please.

Thanks for using i-MSCP.