Deviated subject from Authenticator thread (why Debian will not include PHP 7.1 in Debian Stretch)

• Well debian isn't really kept up to date anyway, php7 has to be pulled from dotdeb for example (and even they don't have 7.1)

Yep... And as far as I know, 7.1 will not be part of Stretch... No grave. The PhpSwitcher plugin comes to the rescue ;)

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Stretch is the upcoming Debian version (actually testing).

• Wait so with stretch being debian 9, that means php 7.1 won't be a thing until Debian 10? (by then it probably will be out of support)
    What in hell are they doing?

Well on a server without imscp the phpswitcher wont really help (i am on @DiamantThomy 's server so i know it a bit).
    But probably dotdeb will help again.
    They maybe even kick 7.1 into deb8

asperger inside(tm)

• badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• does that mean it wont be in stretch, like ever, or just that it isnt at the starting phase of stretch?
    if it's the first one, then WTF is going on there (especially since it's not even soft freeze yet, so new packages would still be possible).

full freeze is feb5 so I guess that isnt even the releasedate yet...
    even now PHP7.0 is over half of its primary support so when they are full freeze in feb they are pretty much already at 60% of the primary lifetime and it wouldnt be a stretch (pun intended) to say it will be out of at least the primary support when debian 10 comes.

funfact, by the time jessie was released, php5.4 (whe debian had in wheezy) was already and and a half months before the end of security support, no joke. (jessie release 25th april 2015, php5.4 security EOL 3rd september 2015)

if php.56 hadnt additional support they would probably be in a similar state now. This is painful to watch...

asperger inside(tm)

• @My1

The answer coming from Ondřej Surý that is the the main Debian PHP maintainer, I doubt that PHP 7.1 will be part of Debian Stretch, unless there is an internal vote resulting in it inclusion. As far as I know, they worked a lot for integration of PHP 7.0. The major problem is that they won't integrate a branch that do not suit for their security policy. They like to have many feedback from users before including a new branch in official repository. They have worked on PHP 7.0 integration since ~ 1 year and they pushed many fixes for it (outside of upstream team). Stretch will be freeze soon.

So yes, that a hell for end-users which tend to use last software versions but from an integration and security point of view, that is arguable.

BTW: Even if a PHP version is EOL by upstream team, the Debian team provide security fixes for it as long as the Distribution is not EOL ;)

• but why does it take so long for debian to integrate it? especially dotdeb seems to be able to do with ease.
    isnt it more or less just compiling the package, putting it into the right places and the packaging everything nicely together?

asperger inside(tm)

• but why does it take so long for debian to integrate it?

That is because for the PHP versions that are provided by Debian, there is many factors to take into consideration, such as all available PHP applications that are also part of the repository. For instance, a PHP version that is provided by Debian must be compatible with any PHP application that is provided by Debian. That is the same thing for PHP extensions and packaged Pecl packages... They have to kept all of them synced. If they include PHP 7.1 now in the testing repository, this also mean that they must test all other packages providing a PHP application or extension, and eventually update them if necessary. This necessarely mean that all maintainers of these packages have to coordidate all together for testing/updating and so on. That a big work and can take huge time.