Info required about i-mscp. Access logs, security and backups.

• Hello

I am interested to try i-mscp on either ubuntu or debian. Before I install it on my VPS I would like to know a few things about i-mscp first please.

1. My first question and one of the most important features that I am looking for in a control panel and that is the 'raw access logs' for website visitors for each of my domains. What I would like to know with regards to this issue is how long the 'access logs' are stored for each domain and will there be a certain amount of days 'access logs' stored at anyone time. Where are the 'access logs' for each domain stored please.

2. Another question is how secure is i-mscp. Please I do not mean any offence when asking this so please do not take it the wrong way. I i-mscp regularly updated and developed and how secure is the i-mscp to use on a production vps.

3. Can i-mscp do backups of websites and control panel settings and can these backups be easily reinstated if my vps gets compromised by a hacking intrusion.

4. What is the best OS image to use with my VPS and i-mscp for a good stable contol panel and vps?

5. Can webmin minimal be used with i-mscp as I am planing to use that in conjunction with the csf firewall to add a little extra security to my VPS and sites.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance in helping me resolve these questions and look forward to hearing from your soon.

Kind Regards
    Veg-grower
    UK

• 1) Normally the access-logs (combined an other formats) are stored in /var/log/apache2 (a logger script writes the several log files). How long they exist in the system belongs on your logrotate settings... I configured them to make a new file every week and keep them for about a year...

2) Well - since I don't know any external source code reviewing of i-mscp - it's hard to tell.
    But: there are already several installations around (ask here...) - the project didn't start from scratch (it's a fork), so there is much knowhow around. I'd say: if there's a big hole then a patch will be made very quickly...

3) backups are done: domain files and databases (can be dis-/enabled separately and for every hosting customer). There is also a backup of the /etc/imscp folder and the imscp database. With theese infos it should be possible to do a restore... but as always: never trust a backup if you do not know how to restore...

4) Debian and Ubuntu are supported - so it mey depend on the VPS... I'd rather use Debian.

5) Well, you can install webmin with the firewall thing, but do not use the webmin modules: apache, postfix etc etc... and check if the webmin-fw rules do not disable the traffic counting of i-mscp (wich is iptables based...)
    For some extra security: I'd rather use a package like arno-iptables-firewall and configure it in the console than install another service which can be a target...

Hope you find the needed infos in may answers

Cheers
    Joximu

• Thanks for your detailed reply most appreciated :)

I have installed the stable release of i-mscp and it is a great looking control panel :)

I am going to have a play around with it and try and learn how to use it and I will use it on my vps for my sites.

I think I may have found where the 'access log' rotate settings are in imscp. They seem to be located here >>

/etc/imscp/apache/logrotate.conf

So if I wanted to change the way the logs are stored and rotated I would edit that file?

I would like to know would it be possible to automaticall approve a domain that has been added to the clients account without me having to go into the resellers account to approve it?

I would like to know also please would I be able to install webalizer to work with i-mscp to generate access logs for domains added to the control panel? The reason why I am asking this is webalizer creates clean visitor log files as it removes all image path requests etc.

If yes then would I need to edit any of the core files that i-mscp uses or would it just be a straight forward install via the debian files?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited once, last by veg-grower ().

• normally the logrotate conf is here
    /etc/logrotate.conf and also in /etc/logrotate.d/*

you mean alias domain - add without approve..
    well, it's php, you can change the code. But since the software is for isps, there is a strong need to check what domain has been added. Lets say a customer adds "gmail.com", you approve (or it's approoved automatically) then the customer adds a catchall mail rule... so he gets all mails from your other customers which they send to @gmail.com accounts...

webalizer: well, I think you can use the webalizer binary that ships with debian - the more important part is the configuration... but it should be possible to do it.

/J

• Automation for domain approval can be easily done with a plugin.
    Webalizer will be available asap has addon on packagist.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

Edited once, last by Nuxwin ().

Automation for domain approval can be easily done with a plugin.

Thank you kindly for your time and help.

Is there a plugin for doing that available on this forum or on your site?

you mean alias domain - add without approve..
    well, it's php, you can change the code. But since the software is for isps, there is a strong need to check what domain has been added. Lets say a customer adds "gmail.com", you approve (or it's approoved automatically) then the customer adds a catchall mail rule... so he gets all mails from your other customers which they send to @gmail.com accounts...

Thats a very good point and a very good feature but this is my private vps that only myself will have access to so I will know what domains I will be adding so the feature that is a very good one for a shared hosting enviroment is not needed for my personal vps and is a little inconvenient.

Like I said I think it is avery good feature :)

If I needed to edit the php code myself to enable "automatic approval" of added domains on a client account then could you please tell me what to edit and where to find and replace please as I am not 100% proficient in php coding.

Thanks

• I have had a look at the files in I-Mscp and I have no clue where to begin or finish. I am not a php programmer so I may do more harm than good if I tried to mess it up myself :s :blush:

Could I please place a request for a feature in the settings under domains where there is an option to disable approval requirements for domains but have it set as activited by default so the origional feature is always activated on a fresh install.

Would that be possible to impliment as like I said I would love to do it myself and even create a plugin but I have no real experienced knowledge of php coding :blush: and I am not confident enough to try myself incase I make a complete mess up of it :s

Thanks in advance :shy:

• Hello

I can create this plugin for you but I'm really wondering the purpose of it. eg, if you allow to add domain without any approval anyone will be able to create a one... Who you see the thing exactly ?

Edit: Ok, you are talking about domain aliases (domain created by logged in customers). Ok, I'll create the plugin this night.

Thanks for using i-MSCP.

The Control Panel is being used on my Private VPS and is not open to anyone else it will only be holding my websites :shy: so I will know exactly what will be added.

I would like to say again that the feature is a very good feature indeed and it would give any web hosting provider the piece of mind knowing what domains are being put on there servers.

Thank you kindly for your help it is very much appreciated :shy:

• Plugin ready. I'll commit now.

Edit; I'll finalize when github maintenance will be done.