filesystem protection

• Hi there,

I tried to search for it but was unable to get any result:
    The filesystem can be protected using I-MSCP panel. What do I have to do to remove it for one folder or to set it again?

• ok I found something using chattr +i or chattr -i but for some reasons my Ubuntu 16.04 is telling me that the command "chattr" was not found.

Any idea how this could happen and how to fix that?

• Any idea how this could happen and how to fix that?

Make sure that the e2fsprogs package is installed on your system.

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206

• Make sure that the e2fsprogs package is installed on your system.

hm that is the strange thing, it is installed and i also tried to reinstall it. But chattr is not available. I checked to set it using the webinterface and it seems to work if I do it using I-MSCP panel. So maybe I-MSCP is doing it without chattr?

Maybe my system is fucked up right now, I do not know but I hope not. But it needs to keep on running till the next Ubuntu Server LTS release is out and I-MSCP is supporting it.

• hm that is the strange thing, it is installed and i also tried to reinstall it. But chattr is not available. I checked to set it using the webinterface and it seems to work if I do it using I-MSCP panel. So maybe I-MSCP is doing it without chattr?

Yes, i-MSCP is doing direct IOCTL(2) calls. ;)

See also IOCTL_IFLAGS(2) manpage.

• @Nuxwin ok thanks for the information - currently I think this is broken at my system at the moment (why ever and I have no idea if this can be repaired). But as I do not need it and I-MSCP is doing it without chattr I stay on this system till the new ubuntu arrives and I-MSCP is supporting it.

• @UncleSam

On your ubuntu, make sure that the /usr/bin path is in your search path. Try also (as root user):

Shell-Script
    1. # updatedb
    2. # locate chattr

Once done, retry the chattr ... command.

Also check result of: ls /usr/bin/chattr command.

See also following man pages:

• updatedb(8)
    • locate(1)

• @Nuxwin already tried all of them but I retried them:

• /usr/bin (and a lot of more) are in the $PATH variable
    • after updating the search db I was unable to find chattr
    • there is no chattr inside /usr/bin (if there is one the locate command should have found it using root user)
    • I also tested if it is hidden for some reasons, but touch /usr/bin/chattr is working and creating the file

All in all I think I can survive without having chattr. I already thought to set up a virtual machine and copy the files back to my system but I think currently it is gone for some reasons.

• @UncleSam

There is something really weird here and I don't like that, even if you can survive ;)

I've just tried the following:

So, this should works same on your Ubuntu system.

See also: https://packages.ubuntu.com/se…=contents&keywords=chattr

• Ok this is f****** me up right now (sorry for the strong words):

I tried to reinstall it using aptitude reinstall e2fsprogs which was not working (command said "reinstall complete" but chattr was still not there).
    Now I thought "lets do it exactly how @Nuxwin did it" and it is back again ... so aptitude was not able to reinstall it the correct way but apt-get was ...

I am using aptitude now for years and prefere it (it is the first thing I install on ubuntu systesm)...