Moving /var to same partition as /home possible? (disk space issue)

• Hi,

our disk space is still growing and configured to only support a 20GB os partition and a nearly 2TB partition which is mounted on /home. We already put nearly every storage and non-relevant os objects in the /home directory to save disk space for the os partition, but /var is still using /dev/root which caused alot of space issues.

I saw this thread (Switch to a new partition ?) with nearly the same problem but I think the solution won't work in our situation, because we have to keep the files mounted as /dev/md3 on /home aswell, as you can see in the screenshot. We would like to mount /var - still working for i-mscp - to the same disk space, which is much bigger than our os partition. Is this possible in our current situation? Maybe @Nuxwin could help with a little information. :)

I'm hoping to fix every space issue after we relocated the /var area to the bigger disk.

Thanks for any help!

Our System Information:

Debian Jessie

i-MSCP 1.4.7
    Build: 20170710
    Codename: Zimmer

• @flames

Thanks. I used google but unfortunately my OVH Server can't start in single user mode and the rescue mode can't be the solution (i can only mount one drive to /mnt/ and the steps above won't work in this case).
    Are the steps above still okay in normal boot mode, so I can use i-mscp after?

Or should I just use the symlink variation?.

EDIT:

It worked right now. I used init 1 to get in single user mode because ovh doesn't support it from the interface. I followed the instructions from the first answer here (https://serverfault.com/questi…nother-existing-partition) to mount the new var folder to /home/var. Everything worked as expected and the disk issue is solved permanently after I deleted the /var.old folder.

Code
    1. /dev/root 20G 4.9G 14G 27% /
    2. devtmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev
    3. tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev/shm
    4. tmpfs 7.9G 12M 7.9G 1% /run
    5. tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    6. tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    7. /dev/md3 1.8T 52G 1.7T 4% /var
    8. tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /var/chroot/InstantSSH/shared_jail/dev/shm
    9. tmpfs 1.6G 4.0K 1.6G 1% /run/user/117
    10. tmpfs 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /run/user/0

Thanks to @flames. Problem is solved now. I wasn't sure if moving /var and mounting it would be possible so easily with i-mscp. But everything worked fine. :)

Edited once, last by freedom ().

• @freedom

Glad that you figured out. Google is your friend ;)

badge.php?id=1239063037&bid=2518&key=1747635596&format=png&z=547451206